1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

no his hasnt been oc at all

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I suspect the PSU isnt delivering as clean power as it should, have a lookover of the voltages :)

3. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

ok
    i will do

4. lilsmitty

lilsmitty Guest

I have just ordered a Athlon XP 2200+ with a t-bred core. Think any oc'ing is possible with an old stick of pc-133 ram? if not, can you help me overclock the ram enough to make a difference? I have no way to get some faster stuff. Absolutely no xtra cash. I have a SOYO K7VME mobo, and their case with plenty of cooling. My hsf is a thermaltake volcano 8. pure copper. help me plz!!

5. lilsmitty

lilsmitty Guest

On this whole thing, (overclocking in general) i reccomend not pushing the voltage more than .5 or 1. the multiplier is what i have found to be the best. Sometimes, the FSB has just pushed my system too far, even only raising it by 10 or 15 Mhz. liquid cooling is a must for massive overclockin. I have a 2000+ plus overclocked to 2025 mhz with liquid cooling, but could only get about 1.75 with a regular fan. sorry bout the long post.

6. Praetor

If you're runing a mobo that supports the PC133 spec still then I wouldnt imagine there would be a lot of headroom for OCing.

Most I've seen PC133 OC to without funky cooling is roughly PC152, which, uisng the DDR notation, would be PC1200 (up from roughly PC1066). Not that big an improvement but if anything is what you're looking for, that's it :)

Pretty sure that's a type, do you have the Volcano7+ or the Volcano9+?

LOL you havnt seen long yet! :p

7. badmojox

badmojox Member

First, I would like to thank all of the people who have contributed to this thread (specially Praetor and hydro)since I had very similar questions of my own.

I have an XP 2000 Palemino with an ECS K7S5A 1.0 board and PC2100 512mb RAM. My video card is a 9800XT.

Yes I know I have a ridiculous card with a crappy platform. I noticed that hydro has a nice stable OC at XP 2200 with a FSB increase to 145 correct? That is what I am looking for as well. Unfortunately, I have heard mixed opinions on how my board rates in terms of Overclocking. First of all, I know that when I go to BIOS, 133 is the highest I can set the FSB to. So I researched a little bit and found out a program called SpeedFan which allows you to change the FSB in windows. Now I have a few questions:

Is my RAM compatible with an OC to XP 2200? I am not sure what kind of problems OCing runs into with memeory.

Is there any other way of changing the FSB or do I have to flash my BIOS to a custom OC Bios? I would much rather use SpeedFan although I don't think it allows small increment changes and I am not sure if 145 is an available setting.

Also in SpeedFan, it shows a couple different temperature readouts but it doesn't label where it is reading them. The one that I think is important and looks suspiciously like the CPU temp reads around 57C. Yikes. Is that normal for stock HSF setup? I am guessing that before even thinking about an OC, even one as small as 2000 to 2200, I need better cooling.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated. Thank you!

8. Praetor

I would not reccommend trying to OC with your mobo ... I've had a lot of people come ask me to fix their OC'd K7S5A boards

Depends on how you OC it (FSB or Multiplier) .... again I woudlnt reccommend it with that mobo.

I could be wrong but ive never ever heard of anything like that before

Thats fine (actually pretty good for a stock Palomino under stress)

Probably ... visit http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431 for ideas

9. lilsmitty

lilsmitty Guest

Its smith again. ok. my mobo is BRAND NEW. I didnt realize that the pc-133 wuz a different size. i got it from a buddy when he got a new pc, so that isnt gonna work. i ordered a 512MB stick of PC2700.so once again, heres my specs. i need to know how much you recommend i oc.

Soyo K7VME mobo
    512 MB pc2700 ram
    athlon xp 2200+ t-bred processor.\
    40gig 7200 rpm hdd (if this even matters)
    thermaltake slim volcano 8 (no this wuznt a typo) its pure copper if this helps.

k. PLZ reply as soon as possible. my final parts should get here tomorrow,(JULY 1) so i want to know.

10. Praetor

Is this the HSF? http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1492.htm -- if so its not all copper (hence it doesnt have a "+" in its designation) ... a decent cooler but you'll probably want to

HUH?

I couldnt reccomend you anything other than trial and error. Take it slow and test thoroughly at each stage.... there's no hard and fast technique

11. lilsmitty

lilsmitty Guest

thanx. yes that is the cooler i have. i meant a pure copper base, not the whole thing. i meant my final parts would arrive tomorrow. july 8. i only need about 200 mhz so i should make it easy i think. maybe even go a little higher

12. Praetor

With the Barton's I would say, given the right chipset, that wouldnt be a problem however the TBredB's OC ceiling was kinda low.... you should be able to hit 200Mhz OC but watch the temps -- you may consider upgrading the HSF to something more "aggressive". Visit the cooling thread for ideas and suggestions

13. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I Have a 2 HDD
    Master
    Manufacturer: Hitachi-HGST
    Model: Deskstar 7K250 HDS722580VLAT20 08K0462 / 13G0818 / 14R9246
    Type: ATA IDE-Ultra/100
    Capacity: 82.3gb
    Details: 7200rpm, 8.5ms access, 2mb cache, -757mbit/sec raw, 29.7-61.4mbyte/sec sustained, 1" high
    Guarantee: 3yr

Slave: Seagate
    Model Number:ST310014ACE
    Capacity:10 GB
    Speed:5400 rpm
    Seek time:12.7 ms avg
    Interface:Ultra ATA/100

I was wondering on which one should I have my os?
    i have it on the 80 gb currently is this ok or can get better performance i do something else

14. Praetor

New topic... new thread... it keeps things clean :)

15. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

sorry

16. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

[​IMG]

As you can see I have successfully oc my xp2000+ to a xp2400+ but what i want to know is how i can unlock the multiplier. I also set my ram at 166.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  17. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor My next question is to you mainly.

Am just not happy with my current set up.

I got a new hdd a new graphics card

what i want is a new cpu and some ram!

any suggestions

can 1g ram work in conjunction with my 256 ram
    My current ram is 256 ddr sdram pc3200

does the new ram i buy have to be pc3200 aswell

and what processor should i get that will work with my current mobo and and am looking at only spending £150

I got a job yesterday and 50% of money will go on my comp

18. Praetor

New topic new thread... really.. thats the only thing thats keeping this place clean .... harsh enforcement :)

To change your multiplier, goto your bios and usually the line right after where is says the final clock speed of the chip, change that multiplier (you may have to goto Manual mode). Make sure you change your Multiplier slowly and test at each stage :)

19. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

Kamran What Core do u have? if its a TB like my you can OC a litle more.

20. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

Ah sry lol din't see that in the Pic ... i see its TB