1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking help... i cant get it...??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HAUNTED, May 31, 2004.

1. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

IM READY TO TAKE THE RISK!!...

I have a Asus A7V8X mobo, with 1 stick of PC2700 DDR which = 512 mb... my processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ which is currently running at 1.67 GHZ, i have a creative sound blaster live 5.1 sound card in my pci slot, and a Ge Force Ti4200 in agp, those are the only cards i have in my computer.

Can someone Please tell me how much i can overclock this and how exactly step by step to do it?

btw..cooling isnt a problem i have a heavily moded case with like tons of fans.. and my processor is currently running at 30deg celcius

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Nobody can tell you. Its extremely hardware dependent down to the individual capacitors and such meaning 2 such boards may have drasticallt different OC caps. As for doing it, BIOS --> Advanced --> Advanced Chipset Features and start fiddling (with small changes of course) the clocks and/or multipliers

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

To over-clock you will need to either increase your clock multiplier in your bios setup or increase your front side bus and in some cases a little of both. There is no sure way to determine the degree of tolerance that your chip can handle; you can only do that through trial and error by increasing the speed in small increments and then running a CPU intensive application such as 3DMark.. Another possible difficulty is that your chips clock settings may have been locked by AMD. I put a XP 2500+ in my wife’s PC and it fortunately wasn’t locked and I was able to over clock it to a 3200+.

I’ve been hearing on the net that the 2500+s that are being sold now are locked. If your chip is locked then you have to go to the Fronts side bus for your adjustments which will work but with the added hazard that you are also over clocking all your hardware as well. I’m going to tell you right now that PC2700 memory is going seriously limit how much you will be able to over clock to. You should have at least PC3200 because it’s natively made to run with a wider front side bus than your PC2700 is. If you over clock too much your system won’t boot, but not to worry, all you have to do is pop out your systems battery for a few seconds and the return it and your bios will be reset and you can start over.

4. Praetor

Hehe not always :p My friends and I "charbroiled" and AlthlonXP before ... all OC'd up and no heatsink :p (the chip was kinda busted anyways :p)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

True, it's possible to fry your chip over clocking but if you have a good fan and are using thermal goop then its considerably less likely. In haunted's case it's more likely that his memory will go before he pushes his CPU too far. When my younger brother first attempted to over clock he set the frontside bus to maximum and of course his system wouldn't boot. I removed the battery and he got lucky and his system booted. Most over clock faiures are from people getting impatient and stupid and yes not all chips have the tolerance to go faster. Usually are chips that were made during the intitial release if the product. But AMD like intel is in the habit of binning, meaning that eventually the manufacturing process becomes so refined that there is very little difference between the chips except the clock speed settings.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  6. Praetor

Grab a Volcano12 and you shouldnt have a problem (if im not mistaken the newer Thermaltake fans come with thermalgoop too!)

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes they do and yes they are good choices for cooling.

8. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

"To over-clock you will need to either increase your clock multiplier in your bios setup or increase your front side bus and in some cases a little of both. "

im not sure exactly how to do this... what would it be under in my bios? there is one thing that says processor speed, and i can change it from like 1332, 1667 to 2006...once i tried that and my system hung and wondent boot, so i pulled the batter and it fixed it... is that overclocking??

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When you first boot up you are given an option at the bottom of your screen to enter setup. Since you have and asus board begin tapping your delete key as soon as you turn you PC on and it will take you into setup. Once there go to advance and read the menu. It should lead you to clock and other settings such as front side bus settings.Yes its over clocking but beyond your systems tolerance. Like I said your memory won't allow for a lot of extra speed from front side bus settings.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  10. Praetor

Uh ... i'd reccomend you read up on OCing in general and ask more questions before you dive in there like that but to answer your question, yes thats overclocking.

To answer your question on 'how'
    Im not exactly sure on the sequence of commands and such and thats a rough idea (if you've read the manual you should be able to figure it out from what ive said even if i miscalled a thing or two) ... my A7V8X-X is at home with the XP2800 so Im just going by memory (note that the KT400 chipset isnt so OC friendly as the NF2)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'd take Praetor's advice and study the issue a little further before you run the risk of frying your chip. If you have to jump in then go slow by making the smallest settings possible and testing them before increasing them any further.

12. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

alright, thanks guys.. i appreachiate it

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Still have to say that your major problem is your PC2700, Memory.

14. Praetor

Agreed, memory is a lot more sensitive than we would all hope -- that adds a degree of excitement to the OC game though :p

15. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

what do u reccomend? pc 3200?

16. Praetor

It's not so much the speed of the memory nor really the timings of the memory that affects its ability to OC although both do play a key role. The major determining factor (also aside from heat) is reliability and stability -- which are two different ideas when it comes to memory OCing.

Reliability: The RAM doesnt change $12000 into $42000 or something wierd like that

Stability: Your machine boots. And doesnt restart at random.

Getting brandname memory will help ensure that your ram is both reliable and stable although you can help with the reliability and reboot-stability problems by installing heatspreaders or using active cooling. As for initial-boot stability it really is dependant on the quality of the ram and with brand name memory often you can rest assured the ram works -- and works at a higher than originally spec'd speed or with more aggressive timings.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you're going to ask your system to speed up by over-clocking your front-side bus, then you must have the memory to support it. You will note that PC2700 refers to a native intel front side bus speed of 100 times 4 in otherwords its quad pumped. When you overclock your front side bus you need memory that will match your new settings.

100MHz 200MHz 400 meghz for intel
    133MHz 266MHz 533 megs for intel
    166MHZ 333MHz You will need this or
    200MHz 400MHz this, to succeed.

You will need PC 3200 or better to over clock without shutting down.

18. Praetor

Dont you mean 400FSB means 100Mhz quad-pumped?

The PC2700 designation comes from 166Mhz x 2 (because of DDR) x 8 (magical computer number) = 2656 which isnt marketable = 2700 which is marketable

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes sorry!

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, got lost in my post, must be getting tired. I'm an educator and that means that I have the summer off and that I've spent more time here on AD then I probably should.