1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking help... i cant get it...??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HAUNTED, May 31, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL Fair enough :p

2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

if u have a msi motherboard they surrly make it easy to overclock....they have a very simple program, just a few clicks and ur done..

3. Praetor

Yes but what if you want to say... run Linux on an OC'd box? Its usually better and safer to OC in bios -- safer because with the bios route you need to be a lot more careful meaning the chance that one will jump to make massive (and stupid) increases in speed are a lot less.

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

woo Praetor that shut me up..lol
    good thing i dont overclock then...my comp is fast enough for me

5. Praetor

LOL for most users, your technique should work although it dunno what kinda effect a soft-OC will have in the long run however for those who seriously want to have control over their systems (because even those tools have built in safeguards) ... also a faster computer at powerup results in a quicker boot-time :) (and then there is the alternative OS issue too)

6. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

/bold HOW CAN I OVERCLOCK MY CPU ( AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ ).
    I have:
    - ASRock K7S8X motherboard ( Version 1.0 )
    - AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU ( 1666 Mhz 6.5 x 256 )
    - GeForce FX 5200 128MB Tv Out
    - 512 MB DIMM RAM
    - Windows XP
    - CPU 29 Degrees ( 84 F )
    Motherboard 35 Degrees ( 95 F )

PLEAZE React with a link !! for a program PLZ PLZ PLZ !! :D

7. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

You may not know me, because I am new here but does anyone know where to adjust the multiplyer on a dell? I've looked around in the bios for a while and didnt really know what I was doing. I am kind of new to overclocking.

8. Praetor

By either ramping the FSB or the changing the multiplier

Realistically, if you're gonna get into OCing you should immediately see a problem with this temperature config. Especially considering you're running a Palomino

Not likely that's possible since Dell makes their own BIOS and clips out all the "goodies"

9. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

I cant find my Multiplier....help me??!! and i cant find my FSB i can only change my CPU Frequention ??
    and if i change my CPU Frequention my CPU becomes 1,25 GHz instead of 1.67 GHz ...:S ?

10. Praetor

That's because ASRock makes non-OC-friendly mobos that dont let you modify stuff like the multiplier

Again, that's because you've got a non-OC-friendly mobo there. Now unless you have a manual option, you're outta luck :)

11. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

I Have A Manual Option....But if I Change it, it only gets lower :( its very strange, but i can download a new version of the ASRock BIOS... maby that helps ???

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Xerox-90,

Not intending any offense but you really should take the time to learn your PC, it's components, what they are, what they do, how they interact and so forth before you start contemplating overlocking.

You need to know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it in order to accomplish a successful overclock. If you don't do things correctly because you don't fully understand the process you can fry your computer beyond repair.

Nothing personal, just a bit of friendly advice :)

13. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

Hihi,

I know, but my BIOS is very strange.
    And i know all the things about my pc and thats ok,
    but its in the BIOS where i go wrong. I think it just a f*cked up motherboard :). Thank U for your advice, but i dont get it, thats why im asking you all :D.
    I want to overclock, cause if it works, i dont have to buy a new CPU and Motherboard :( I think im just unlucky with my motherboard of $40,- :p But still, can i get some help :p

14. Praetor

Thats about right... ASROCK make budget boards ... not designed for OC... you'll be lucky if you can squeeze much out of it :)

15. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

So what motherboard and CPU do U reccomend ?

I think i want to buy a AMD Athlon XP 2500+, but dont know what motherboard i`m going to buy, how much can u overclock a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ ? and what motherboard do U prefer ?

O yeah, i olso have MSN :p

<sorry no emails>

So if u have good advice, add me or mail me ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  16. Praetor

Well my mobo is a nice set to OC with .. so is the Abit NF7 series of boards :)

17. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

I dont want a too expensive motherboard...something about the €80,-
    thats fine by me :p

18. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

Hmmm..i checked out Ur mobo->(ASUS A7N8X-X )...its has a very nice price ;) and my brother is olso a pc-nerd...he said that ASUS makes great mobo`s .. so i will think about that...at www.asus.com , i watched the info about the A7N8X-X and to me its has very interesting things for €70,- :D
    I`m thinking its a good choice.

19. Praetor

A solid board it is :) The Abit NF7 isnt too shabby either
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  20. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

Where do u get all that information from :p ?

Is OC`ing easy with Ur ASUS mobo ?