1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OverClocking Laptop?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LightXxX, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Someone in this thread already gave you hints on how you might be able to.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1kilo ton nuke will overclock it nicely but temperature will be about 1,000,000f for 2 seconds, will create a mile high mushroom cloud & have a blast radius for about 10 miles.

3. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

LOL This forum is better than reality TV. Poor ddp is probably bald from pulling his hair out. How many ways do you tell someone to leave it alone?

4. ddp

just waiting for the day when he reports back after oc'ing the laptop, it won't post anymore so what do i do & i'll laugh at him saying we told you not to do it.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've had to "pee on the electric fence" and learn the hard way in many aspects of my journey through life, so i understand not liking to hear the words "dont do it" and learning WHY i shouldnt.

I also understand someones quest for knowledge, even if i don't like the way the questions are posed.

What i dont understand, is if installing an OS and finding proper drivers is too complicated, how does overclocking a laptop seems an easier task? A laptop we all have tried to explain
    1. Doesnt have proper hardware to handle it
    2. Doesnt have proper cooling to handle it
    3. Doesnt have an unlocked BIOS even if #1 and #2 were possible.

what am i missing here?

6. ddp

comprehension?

7. topcat75

topcat75 Member

I have a Toshiba L10 it's about 5 years old but does the job very good never really giving any troulbe and as soon as I go onto it ,it's ok but once I go anywhere near facebook it slows right down taken for ever to do anything and see somebody talking about windows xp sp3 as soon as I put this on it kills the wireless on my laptop so when getting update have to cancel this one. Have put this up to windows 7 using a usb wireless stick but then the video card is not compatible so back to xp had to go. So got a new one so the Toshiba is like the family laptop all newbies so don't know any difference,

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

He has no quest for knowledge; I explained just about everything someone could possibly want to know about fans in the other thread he started about this laptop...and he left it at stock speed. Now, he wants to know if he can overclock, but he just wants to know if XP will work, but he just wants to know if he can overclock...I don't think he has decided yet.

I am tempted to tell him not to jam a pencil into his eye; but he never listens.

9. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

I did listen, You guys didn't said, "It's impossible" or something like that so i was assuming my laptop could be overclocked... Also, Im unable to install Windows XP SP3 Pro and i dont know why... It's doesn't seem to work on my laptop.... I decided to set at Stock speed(CPU FAN) because i got a Laptop cooler plus i popped open the thing and i also cleaned the CPU FAN and it also dropped by 70-80*F It was able to go that low and i was impressed...

10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

We never said it was impossible; but we never said it was impossible to kill yourself either...I don't recommend either.

If you have your laptop down to 80F at full load (BTW...this is the first time you said that; last I heard it was almost hot enough to boil water), then you probably do have room for overclocking, but if it is idle that means nothing; overclocking does not help unless you are already at full load and you need more performance.

Assuming the temperature is under control, something like ClockGen might do the trick. The only problem is that it would be pointless. Your laptop will never play games or do 3D CAD or anything like that...and it is already fast enough for things like web browsers and office apps.

You say that XP won't work...it won't finish installing? It won't start installing? It installs but then you can't install drivers? What exactly is the issue there?

11. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Will, Imma try to OC or try some software that can OC my LapTop... The problem with Windows XP is when it was copying files, it have an error or problem... It came out a blue screen and said my computer shut down to not get damaged... My bro said that Windows XP files doesn't support or Compatible with my computer...

12. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

I just used ClockGen and i went to PLL setup and i do not know how to OC with it... I found a video to help but mine doesn't show the CPU speed on the PLL Control... I tried on all those PLL and it doesn't show speed... What does it mean or is there another way to OC?

13. ddp

your bbrother doesn't know what he is talking about as that link i posted for the drivers clearly state xp besides vista & maybe win7. read that link & search that site about installing xp on your laptop. do some work for once instead of us providing all the info.

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You cant just throw a windows disc in and make it magically work. Totally wipe your harddrive clean, format it, then try to load your windows disc

15. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Can go with the OCing? Nee dhelp!!! I also trying some PPL but it crashes and freezes...

16. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

look up setFSB on google. first two links should work nicely.it sounds like youve made up your mind, so make your unstable laptop even faster.

17. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

You got an ID code for it? I cant if i dont have one plus im 14 not 18 so i cant donate and my bro wouldn't even dare do donate anything...

18. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

scroll down for freeware edition. didnt know they wanted you to donate at all.

19. omendata

omendata Regular member

Never overclock a laptop they are not designed for it due to heat and space restrictions.

Its one of the reasons laptops fail from not enough ventilation.

I repair them for a living and graphics cards are even an overheating issue problem especially on HP models!

20. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

Only 800 Yen anybody can afford that.($9.65) Did it display the clock generator chip number when you started program? If so is that number in clockgen's list? if so try that in clockgen. SETFSB is suppose to be one of better programs, was free way back.
    You said clockgen froze up your computer, did you slid the slider too far? Click the small arrow on right and hit set until computer freezes then the last setting is probably the highest you can go.