1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking MachSpeed Board

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by core2kid, Oct 21, 2007.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I have a Machspeed PT88AS Motherboard that I would like to overclock. I have a Celeron D 2.93 Ghz inside which I know can hit 3GHZ+. The problem is, if I overclock it on this motherboard it either fails at POST or the performance is worse using SUPER_PI. The only option in the motherboard is to adjust the FSB and it has no option to adjust the CPU Voltage. My temps right now are about 88-90F idle so its not a question of cooling. I have a XION 500W PSU (dont know if that could be a problem) Does anybody know why I cant overclock? BTW, the motherboard box showed a picture of a Windows Voltage adjustment utility (think its called micro adjustment) that the motherboard did not come with and when I called MachSpeed they told me that that product was discontinued. Isn't that false advertisement?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll have to be straight up with you here. Both your power supply and motherboard simply aren't cut out for overclocking, and given the budget of your other parts, I doubt the RAM is either.

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I know that the RAM Inside my computer isn't the best but I know it will overclock. I have 1GB (2x512MB) Ultra DDR RAM with Heatspreader. With a new PSU could I get it to overclock to atlest 3GHz? Is there any 3rd party utility that would help me overclock or adjust the voltage on this? I'm planning on getting a PD with mobo to upgrade this but before I do that I would like to see how overclocking goes. A new mobo with PD means I would need DDR2 RAM, PCI-E Graphics and a new PSU.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What do you mean by PD? If you mean Pentium D then do yourself a favor and don't get one.

BTW I doubt you are going to get real performance gains going up that much, so just let it lie, and upgrade to a Core 2 later on to see some REAL overclocking.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea, i meant Pentium D. and I wanna save money and just get one of those for now or an AMD because I already have a Core2 @2.00 GHz with 2GB RAM in a laptop. I am also building a C2D system for a friend and I would like to know the best bang for the buck processor with a motherboard that overclockes excellently and thats SLI Capable.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well you certainly wont be getting the best bang for buck with a Pentium D. If you are looking for something cheaper look at the Pentium Dual-Cores. They are based on the Core 2 architecture.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. Athlon64 X2s are really cheap, as are the new pentium dual cores, given how good value they are, I wouldn't pay any more than small change for a Pentium D.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

So your saying that the Pentium D is a small change over the Celeron D? I might just stick with my Celeron because paired with an ATI 9800 PRO, its a great gamer. It runs Halo 2 on XP Fine.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Pentium D is miles better than a Celeron D, but any other dual core processor is miles better than the Pentium D. You say the Celeron D is a great gamer, whilst it obviously serves your purposes well, once you upgrade you'll think otherwise. Try playing Supreme Commander with that CPU.

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Well, with the amount of time I have on my hands, I don't really get to play games and when I do, I also have a Pentium 4 @ 3.6 GHz with a 6800 and 1GB RAM which I could also use. I just wanted to overclock this one because it is the one I have in my room and I don't use my laptop (C2D 2.00 GHz, 2GB, ATIx1400) for gaming.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be quite honest, your laptop would be almost as good for gaming!

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Is the video card in my laptop good enough to game with? I have never had the time or enthusiasm to look up all the specs of it. I might just end up hooking it up to the monitor in my room and using an external HD with games on it. I really never liked gaming on a laptop because of the heat it produces and because of the laptop controllers but I could always use my wireless mouse/kb.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not great, but it's not loads better than a 6800, it can play almost every game out there to some degree. Your laptop has a far better CPU, so you'll probably do alright.

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

How much do clock speeds matter in determining how good a video card is. I know my Nvidia 6800 has a clock speed of 350 core x 900 memory o'clocked to 400x1020. I found out with the ATI utility that my ATI has 256MB of hypermemory with 432 core clock and 396 memory clock.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Atitool shows you the pre-DDR speed of the RAM, so it'll actually be 792Mhz.
    The clocks are kind of important for those older cards. I'm not saying the laptop will be better, but it won't be much worse.

16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's because half of it is onboard GDDR3, and the other half it nicks from your system, so if you have DDR1 it's going to be DDR1/GDDR3, if you have DDR2, then it'll be DDR2/GDDR3.

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I have DDR2 Memory. So, in the best you could say, how much better/worse is the ATI X1400 then the Nvidia 6800 GT? Are my final clocks with my memory configuration 432 core by 792 memory? If I was to run, say Need For Speed Carbon or any other intense game, which computer would run it better, graphics wise? And which computer would be the best overall for gaming from:
    E1505/C2D 2GHz/2GB DDR2/120GB SATA/15.4 Glossy (1280x800)/X1400/Intel Pro Wireless/Bluetooth/XP MCE2005 (Service tag 9HRN4C1 to check advanced specs)
    XPS Gen 3/P4 HT 3.6GHz/1GB DDR2/250GB SATA/20.1 Widescreen (1920x1050)/XP PRO (Service tag CLJMS51 to check advanced specs)

Check advanced specs:
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&l=en&s=gen
    and go to Original System Configuration.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The laptop has by far the better CPU, the graphics performance is probably indifferent. You will of course have a lower resolution with the laptop, but then that'll make the games run better. Having 2GB of RAM seals the deal as it being the better gamer.
    The resolution of your desktop monitor is very likely to be 1680x1050 by the way, not 1920x1050.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea, thats it. I was just tired when I typed in the resolution and I was typing it in from my memory. So, now, If I was to upgrade the RAM in the XPS to 3GB (buy another 2x1GB Sticks because they are so cheap) would that make it perform a little better with games?