1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking????? plz read

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Liez4Love, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

I read almost everything I could find about over clocking, i know about the bus speed, and cooling and stuff, however, when i start my computer, and go to the bios settings, i see the bus speed, but i cant highlight it, is that the right way to change the bus speed?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if can't change bus speed in bios than possibly locked. check board site for bios updates & what changes they did in each update

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Boardsite? as in the mother board website?

4. ddp

yes

5. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

sorry, im a newbie,. but under device manager what is the mother broad? is it computer? because i didnt build this computer i had it built for me. and it didnt come with the motherbraod instructions.

6. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

look in your device manager, and under either IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, or system devices and it should tell you like for instance INTEL 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller....INTEL 82801AA would be my MOBO.... hope this will help you

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  7. ddp

your not a newbie as you are a junior member!!. if you don't know what a motherboard is, i would suggest not to try overclocking your system until such time as you know the ins & outs of that computer. the reason being you can easily fry parts of or all of your computer if you don't know what the components are or do. it is like giving a kid some gasoline & matches, tell them not play with them & they burn the house down.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Liez4Love

I for one cannot tell what MB I have by going into Device Manager. It shows what IDE controllers are, etc., but those are the chips on the MB such as Intel 865 and not the MB maker itself such as Asus, Intel, SoYo, etc.

I have my system O/C's by just about 10% which is mild.

I strongly urge you to not Over Clock a system if you are not even aware of your hardware such as your Motherboard. A bit more in speed might sound cool, but it also can be the end of what was a perfectly good system. Now some makers such as Asus do make it easy to over clock, simply by what you stated in your first post, looking in CMOS settings and using their built in tools. They also have built in safe guards to reverse an over clocking error. Without such safeguards it might be By-By system, including your CPU!

This is a second motion of what ddp suggests.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  9. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

i totally agree with DDP and ScubaBud as if you have not fully mastered the ins and outs of your MOBO i wouldnt try it either, it is a very touchy process and a possibly fatal action that can kill your PC....

10. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'll go ahead and 4th that. Overclocking can really be a painful experience if you haven't studied up on your comp.

Set the FSB too high, not enough voltage, etc... Could really end up with a huge headache and even cause damage to your system.

11. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

alright thnaks for the tips. the mother board is the only thing i dont really know about, i know everything else to a computer though, are there any good teaching websites about mother boards?

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Liez4Love

If you are still adamant on over clocking why don't you look inside the PC for a model number at least. It could be anywhere but sometimes they put revision numbers on the lower left corner. If you have some identifying marks, then you could do a search on the internet with them, and it should come back with make, etc.

13. ddp

if got manual for motherboard, will tell you the make & model of motherboard

14. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Thanks guys, and i found out my MOBO is

Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

and i googled it, and found out there is an update at http://drivermagic.com/p/nph-download.php?a=2900 and i dont know if i should do it, because it didnt explain what the update was to well, and im not sure why i should do it. thanks for the help

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  15. karatone

karatone Regular member

It seems you may have an Intel Motherboard by the sound of what you've found but many motherboard makers use Intel chipsets and components. Take a look inside your case at the board itself,you can usually find a name or at least a group of numbers that will get you closer to the maker. Intel boards tend to be locked at default settings not enabling you to OC the CPU. But if you really want to OC your system buy yourself a Abit or Asus board as these are a few of the OC favorites. Warning! ,don't place a stable system in danger of turning it into a non working system. The choice is yours ,hopefully this system belongs to you and not a parent who would be very disappointed if the PC somehow " just stopped working" good luck!

16. ddp

don't bother to try to overclock your system as it is obvious you don't even know what your motherboard is. that Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB is 1 of the intel chips for your ide controller but is not the motherboard markings. you would be a pissed off individual if you fry your system because you don't know your motherboard from a chipset so leave alone for now.