1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking problem! (help please).

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by 3lement, Apr 2, 2008.

1. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Hi, i want to build a fast computer but i cant really spend alot on it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a mobo on tigerdirect or other site that is at least 2.0ghz and has a good overcloking feature. (can be overclocked and still be stable)I kinda want to stick between Amd and intel. Was wondering if this was a good mobo or if its not good at all. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3735664&CatId=14 I appreciate all advice. thnx

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

good choices krj.
    And no, the one you posted from tigerdirect 3lement is rubbish.

4. 3lement

3lement Regular member

3.0ghz and stable? no way to get it any faster?

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i got mine to 3.2 but it wasnt completely stable. atm i am running at 3 and it is awesome with games.

6. 3lement

3lement Regular member

I mean does it run programs that are like total memory hogs? Like maya (3d rendering program) and is the mobo good? the guy says the bios are not that great. And also does the mobo or chip come with a cpu cooler? Does the setup get really hot? sorry for all the questions. thnx for your time :)

7. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

yes it will run those applications but not as well as a quad core. the mobo i listed is great. i am using it right now. the overclocking options are good and my system is really fast. when you buy the cpu it will come with a cooler. i have mine overclocked using the stock cooler and it gets up to 60c.

8. 3lement

3lement Regular member

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

that case should work fine.

10. 3lement

3lement Regular member

ok now that we got all that out of the way know any good freeware programs to overclock. I have cpucool but it doesnt save settings.

11. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

for your cpu just use the settings in the bios. for a graphics card use atitool or riva tuner.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E2160 can only just make it a bit above 3Ghz, with some intelligent tweaks you could get it stable at 3.15Ghz but no further. It only starts at 1.8 remember!
    I use an E4300, which is essentially the same CPU with more cache (that doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference I assure you) at 3.15Ghz and it is superb for gaming.
    The CPU will come with its own cooler, but to get it to 3Ghz and above you'll need an aftermarket one (krj, you could probably pull your 3.2Ghz overclock off if you bought a freezer 7 pro, they're only cheap, 60C is too much for an overclocked CPU). The Freezer 7 Pro is an effective CPU cooler that mounts in the same simple way as the normal cooler does, and does a very good job for the price.
    Typically, we recommend using newegg around here because of their vastly better customer service, so link to a case there:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146026

You don't use programs to overclock a CPU, you use the BIOS. Software CPU overclocking = bad. You use software to overclock a graphics card, but not a CPU.

You haven't stated which graphics card and power supply you're going with. First of all, GET A DECENT POWER SUPPLY. That's very important. The number of watts isn't a huge concern (500W is enough to power almost anything) but it has to be a decent brand, so no Rosewill, EZCool etc. crap. Get a Corsair VX unit at the very least.
    If you're getting an nvidia graphics card, use Rivatuner to overclock it. If ATI, use the catalyst control center's overdrive facility.

13. 3lement

3lement Regular member

My intel i have now is locked from the bios. is there anyway to unlock it? Like i can get in but the place were i overclock is grey and i cant get in to change it.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I doubt it, Intel's own boards can't be overclocked.

15. 3lement

3lement Regular member

I just got all the stuff for this project you guys suggested :) i will tell you how it goes after i get all the stuff. probably monday. for now thnx for your help

16. 3lement

3lement Regular member

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

The power supply you listed is cheap. you should get a nice name brand unit. The graphics card you chose will be fine for running aero or watching movies but you wont be playing any games with that. if you dont want to play games then you should get this psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, that's a crap PSU. You should replace that before anything bad happens, and it WILL happen.
    The graphics card is very weak but if you're not a hardcore gamer it'll be alright.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The StealthXStreams are better units than the GameXStream, still a little fluctuant, but better. I usually recommend the Corsair units in their place though due to the longevity and extra connectors.