1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheat porblems with Vid Card and CPU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sasha1303, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

hi , i have recently bought a huge rocket fan from gigabyte that goes 4000RPM(http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9267&GroupID=561)on my CPU (due to overheating on old standerd intel CPU Fan , i had overheat problems wen playing games the cpu would get hot and freeze , i got this rocket fan installed , lol no diffrence and was proffesianly installed , i got a nice Fan for my vid card from Zalman (http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=149&code=013) its OK but this is wat happens , (this happens on al games halo mostly HL2 and its expansions and NOLF2 , the only decent game i got is HL2 inc CS source and the rest i paly CS source on lopw graphics(800x600 res , in advanced evrything is low and the graphics look real shit , i explain te problem , nearly evrythign goes see hru and the HUD and weapons and most of the objects in the game (boxes etc.) dissapear evything is laggy and ends up freezing somtimes i manage to exit the game and evrything is normal , but mostly all the graphics r totaly fucked and end up restarting my computer , so i can clearly see the mostly fans wont help but iv heard of software that can lower the usage of CPU wen playing games and stuff and lower the usage of most of the hardware in ur PC (motherboard , ram , vid card etc.) any1 kno were i can get this software?

Please Help

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

What game and what are your computer speacs? Click start\run type in DXDIAG then OK. The first window will tell you what you have.

-Del

3. haimback

haimback Regular member

sasha does your rocket fan run at 4000rpm max?
    i hate to brake it to you but thats not anything special for a cpu fan, iv been playing a game for couple of hours and my cpu fan is running between 5600 - 5800rpm (just the standard amd cpu fan).
    If you have been having overheating problems i'd guess this new fan isnt good enough to solve the problem

4. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

im running Counter Strike Source on low graphics (800x600 rez , evrything in advanced is low) . My System Specs r : Operating system :microsoft windows proffessiopnal (5.1, Build 2600) ,Bios:Bios date : 80/27/04 17:02:42 Ver : 08.00.10,
    Processer: Intel(r) Pentuim(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ (2 CPUs) [i can overclock this to 4ghz],Memory:2048MB Ram, Page file :308MB used , 2153MB available , DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

5. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

DUH! , i bouught the fan thinking it would be enough to prevent overheating but sadly i can see it wasnt , but do you know were i can get such software to reduce usage.

6. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

so there isnt any software in the world that can prevent max usage of your CPU? or Vid card , then there must be 5 ppl in the world 2 aye lol , CAN anyone please help me?

7. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Funny you should mention this then. I to had the same type problems with HL2 and CS. The only exception is that nothing was transparent. My setup was very similar to your current one. This game would always lock up my system and those load times were awfull. My specs then where P-4 3.02 MSI MB with Intel 874 chipset. 512 Meg RAM. Radeon x800 Pro. And with that setup I only got a whopping 30FPS and lockups.

So what did I do? After noticeing my sons computer was going faster than mine. AMD XP 2500| 512Megs |radeon 9600 Pro. I decided to toss Intel and build a better AMD machine. After my upgrade (in sig) I got 80 FPS in HL2/CS and no more lock ups. All the funny video was gone. The game played like I was watching TV. Now I don't know if it was the P-4 or the Chipset that was messing things up.

I do not think you are having an overheat problem. Unless you have some software warning you that you do. I am not saying go out and upgrade with AMD, That is what fixed my issue. There is a hardware problem somewhere. If you have a VIA chipset that could be the problem. Get the latest drivers for it. You need to look for drivers of that pain in the ass chipset everytime you update windows. If new ones are there get them. I know HL2 is suposed to support HT (not realy) but do not know how it handles 2 CPUs. That could be the problem. Mess arround with the Direct 3D settings (not in the game)for the Vid card. Turn off V sync. For testing turn everything all the way down (not in the game).

If HL2/CS is the only thing causeing you problems then heat has nothing to do with it. That game is very picky.

-Del

8. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

ur right , its jus HL2 and its expansions , i plyed CS for hours just then. but i will try the direct X thingy

9. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

but , i could save up and get AMD , but that will take a while

10. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

ok , im realy stuffed now , i defintly know my PC is overheating now. i was playing some flash games online right i played for about an our , then my pc freezes , i restart my computer it says it had just recoverd freom a serious injuire ( translation : computer overheated,crashed and message comes up trying to scare u, lol). now that counter strike is boring shitless , i wanna play source , but i cant due to continues crashes due to heat (i know its heat becuase wen i try and close this game and sometimes wen i succed all the graphics r fucked up and i got a temprature bar sayiing my vidcard temp is about 54degreess and rising and my CPU temp about 71 degrees , i need some softweare that will reduce usage cuse im affriad that one day my vid card and cpu will fry like a chicken on a fire . SO PLEASE DOES ANY1 KNOW OF SUCH A PROGRAM!?!?!?!

11. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

btw CS also freezes after about 2hrs playing , even crapy flash games like Runescape

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

That message at boot usualy means something happened with a mem swap/mini dump or your vid card did something wierd. That error is loged in your event viewer. Most of the time its the memory that causes that error. Not to say the memory is bad. Microsoft gets crazy sometimes and that error can happen on the best mem out there. Happens only once then ignore it. But over and over again then something is wrong. You can open you case and place infront of an AC vent (if possible). Turn on AC and the same thing will still happen.

-Del

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how many fans besides the cpu & psu do you have??

14. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

well my 120mm fan would be the closest but a wing flew off it but didnt hit the MB it flew out of the case into me lol , didnt hurt im okay , cuase the case was open at the time i was cleaning the window but back to the point i replaced that 120mm fan becuase if i leave it on the whole computer vibrates i replaced it with a 80mm fan blowing out of the back of the case cuase i got a 120mm fan thats quite but weak at the front sucking and i got a 80mm fan at the top blowing out hot air (pure science becuase heat rises i decided to make a window with holes at the top of the PC) and it has got 2 other fans screwed ontop incase its a hot day so yeh and the case is med tower. oh and the CPU fan is a tower fan so the heat sink is HUGE

15. isepiq

isepiq Member

Ok, I build and program computers and have seen this before. The cause, 99.9% of the time is a BAD video card. If you have an Nvidia OR ATI card that says its an 'SE' edition, that would be your problem for sure. Go to some web site like Tom's Hardware Guide and check out their video card reviews/tests. A GOOD ATI or Nvidia, either one, as long as its a GOOD ONE. Both also have BAD cards, so you have to be on your toes. SE cards usually catch people becuase they are 'cheap' (in more ways than one), have tempting 'rebates', and if you sound like you don't know what you are doing, computer stores will try to 'dump' them on you.
    Lastly, it is 99.9% probability that there is somethng wrong with your video card.
    Hope this is of some help.

IMHO
    isepiq

16. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

Se , nowere on the cover

17. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes your probably overclocking your video card you could try a different driver setup or just get a better card same with your CPU. what i have works GREAT if you can swing it go that route,check it out my sig.

19. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

hmm , im gonna try n give it to these real trsuting guys , tell em i want the PC quite and cold . but if that aint work . i geuss ill sell this one and get a pre-built one , cuase dis computer place has realy quite ones round the same specs as mine . so yeh , ill tell u guys wat happens