1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

packard recovery disc`s

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by fatgaz417, Apr 7, 2006.

1. fatgaz417

fatgaz417 Member

can anyone tell me where i can find/download disc 1 of 3 (cd) of my recovery disc`s for my packard bell easynote

thanks fatgaz

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

3. fatgaz417

fatgaz417 Member

thanx matt72

4. cleft

cleft Member

*note* Maybe this isn't the place for this post. If the mods feel that it isn't please be my guest to either move or delete this post. It isn't my wish to go against the grain for what should or should not be in a particular place. *note*

I must say that I really have a problem with HP and their methods of cost savings. Until the start of the HP not including the recovery discs with their computers, I was a faithful buyer of HP products. I made the mistake of buying one of the first that did not include a recovery disc. I found that after three weeks, someone had figured how to hack it from the net. I wound up with my internet connection passworded to a password I didn't give it. No amount of on line tech help fixed it and I wound up paying for the long distance call.

I had to ship the computer back to the factory for re-imaging. At that time they didn't supply a buy option for the customer to obtain recovery discs. After I recieved it back, within another week it was back but this time it wasn't locked to remember the password and I could still operate it.

I have since refused to buy another HP computer. Their cost savings idea has resulted in the loss of three new computers I would have purchased from them. Now that's what I call saving money!

I refuse to do business with a company that wants extra for something that should be included in the package. If HP wants to do their business this way, it will be without me. If others agree that this sort of cost savings doesn't make sense, then I invite you to do the same and refuse to purchase hardware that doesn't come complete.

5. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

@cleft

That is somewhat of a standard now for most pcs to not include an actual recovery cd/ dvd as a way to cut costs. Also cuts down in the company's eyes of how software can be pirated so they include the software in a partition that is usually protected and can only be used through the recovery methods used by the system. Unfortunately more and more (Sony, Gateway, to name a few) companies are now doing this. One of my 2 new desktops is a hp 7334n media edition pc and did not include a recovery cd but I purchased one from bestbuy for 29 US dollars in case I lose the entire hard drive. My new theory is to research before investing from this point forward.

6. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Bestbuy will charge you up the a$$ for stuff like that, most of the things they charge you for, or bundle togeather software wise can be found elsewhere on the internet. America could save thousands and thousands of money if they used freeware, not 50-100 Spyware programs, registry scanners, ect ect.

7. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

that would be a good practice but lets take into consideration there are always hackers looking to manipulate freeware to compromise the end-users pc (where do you think most crack sites get their cracks from :)...). A better way as I hinted at slightly in my previous post is to do your research on any product prior to purchasing. Personally I will do a trial (if available ) then buy if I find it suitable. Preferably if the product (speaking in terms pc-related) provides updates free of charge once paid for then that saves the problem of waiting for a 'freeware' to be updated thus leaving some vulnerable to trojans, viruses, hackers, etc. Besides internet found on several sites more than likely may have been tampered with to allow access unwillingly to your home pc. The perspective is everybody can be a program writer..what risks are you willing to use only freeware as no one is paid to dedicate their freetime to improving/ providing updates and customer support. Just my 2 cents on why avid pc users should avoid using freeware for all their pc needs.

I would sum it up to say if you are willing to potentially compromise your pc security (referring to passwords stored/ typed) then freeware might be up to you. But as more and more institutions provide the 'convenience' of doing business online I prefer the honest route as they will address issues if many have the same concerns (via updates) and lessen the risk of freeware which occasionally disclaims any problems. crashes, connflicts with other software they are not responsible for thereby if something happens you lose everything you have stored on the hard drive (excluding external) and end up aving to pay the initial price of a pay software plus the expense of repairing/ replacing your hard drive or entire pc.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006