1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL / NTSC confusion

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by takemyars, Dec 11, 2003.

1. takemyars

takemyars Member

Hi, i downloaded a movie in .avi form in NTSC and as i live in the UK i usually convert to PAL, but this time left it in NTSC and found the quality much better after changing to mpeg.

Im about to burn it to vcd and am wondering if it will play OK on my TV since it will be in the wrong format. What does anyone think about this? Thanks!

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

all of our equipment is built to deal w/ PAL & NTSC here in the U.K (TV's and stand alone DVD Players)

you should have no problems at all

when I use Nero to burn VCD it is set to PAL personally , but I wouldn't expect you to have any nightmares_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  3. Minion

Minion Senior member

But if your TV is Only meant to display Pal Video then it will Not work properly...It is Quite widely believed that Pal video Produces better Quality because it is Usually Progressive and has about 20% Greater Vertical resolution..BUT if you are encodeing NTSC Video to Pal useing something Like Tmpgenc then I can see why you get better results with NTSC Because Tmpgenc Can not Properly Convert NTSC to Pal so you Can get Sync Problems and you Can Get Jumpy Playback..if you do a Proper NTSC/Pal conversion then you will get Better results...Cheers_X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

99% of all TV's bought in U.K within the last 7yrs [bold]will [/bold] handle either PAL (which is Europe's predominant format) or NTSC.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003