1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC Conversion

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mphsbelle, Jul 13, 2007.

1. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

I am really new at this, and old, but I have recently purchased several dvd's abroad that are PAL and in the US we use NTSC. Since I am a neophyte in this area I have read everything I can but, frankly, most of it is above me. Did I mention I am old, as dirt? Unfortunately, I do still work and don't have lots of time or knowledge to sit and try various programs that I still cannot make heads or tails out of. Anyway, other than purchasing Nero and begging for a step by step process, is there any other program that I can try? Do I need to memorize the frame rates for the different signals or will the programs talk in plain english? I have a new ATSC TV that plays everything, unfortunately, my other tv is HD but not atsc. Thank you. You guys and gals are brilliant.

2. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I used Nero Vision4 to convert a PAL movie to NTSC it was a simple process using that.

3. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Thank you so much; I will give it a try. Will let you know what I end up with.

4. zeroscarf

zeroscarf Member

can i convert my Spiderman3 Games From a PAL version to NTSC version
    and if so how would i do it the post back

Thx
    Zero Scarf

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Heres a simple way to patch the VOB .IFO's so that they will be playable with most modern DVD players. a pic describing this process is below...
    [​IMG]

6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I know in Vision changing from Pal To NTSC I couldn't keep the menus, will Vob keep them? Chris

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes. All VOBlanker does is change a setting in the .ifo file to make the player think it is a NTSC disc. The video structure(menus), and everything stay the same.

8. mfedora

mfedora Member

That was exceptionally helpful for me, especially since I was dealing with a set of .VOB's that were PAL in origin, and the resulting playback was ever so slightly stuttering. VOB Blanker made the conversion to NTSC and there was a big difference. Thx!

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Glad I could help.

10. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

PeaInAPod,thanks that looks to be the best way to do this.I will give it a try next time.

11. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

I tried VOBlanker and it worked. However, when I watched it on my dvd recorder, it asked me to finalize the disc and then it wouldn't play because it couldn't find the menus. Any ideas? Thanx

12. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

I tried VOBlanker and it worked. However, when I watched it on my dvd recorder, it asked me to finalize the disc and then it wouldn't play because it couldn't find the menus. Any ideas? Thanx

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well finalizing the disc has to do with your DVD burning software not successfully completing the burn process. Are you sure it won't play because it couldn't find the menu's because if the disc isn't finaized it's a good bet that that is why it won't play.

14. sn33zy

sn33zy Member

Cool method PeaInAPod! I was looking for a way to convert from PAL to NTSC that avoided that annoying stutter that you usually get.

My results are mixed. I've got two Panasonics and I'm using RW discs. One is an older DVD player only and the other is a newer DVD recorder. The player would try its best to play the PAL to NTSC converted disc but the result was horrible. The signal was very corrupted. However, playback on the recorder worked well. The converted disc would also play on my computer DVD drive.

15. sn33zy

sn33zy Member

I tried this method again and this time neither of my DVD players would play the resulting DVD. I get the message "cannot play" or something to that effect. But my computer would play the DVD without complaint.

In my post above where I got it to work with one player, I was converting a PAL avi file to NTSC DVD. This time I was converting a PAL DVD to NTSC DVD. I used DVD Shrink to remove the region code and move the files to the hard drive and VobBlanker to change the vob file properties. No actual "shrinking" was necessary.

This method did have a "too good to be true" feel to it. Still, I'm glad to learn I can mess around with vob file properties with VobBlanker.

16. swsm06

swsm06 Guest

I ordered my PAL to NTSC convertor at edited by ddp, fast shipping ang good to use. Highly recommened!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  17. sn33zy

sn33zy Member

%@&#! spammer.

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

swsm06 reported as a spammer

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not anymore as lightning struck!!!!