1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC converting // please help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by musique, Nov 6, 2003.

1. musique

musique Member

i recently bought a dvd and since because the picture format is Pal, my stupid dvd player wouldn't play it. although i am glad that my pc plays it but i rather watch it in my chillin room.
    can anyone please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to NTSC? what software to use and more. if possible...step by step instruction will be even more awesome!! :)

many thanks for your help in advance!! :)

i have Nero 6 ultra edition.

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

3. musique

musique Member

anyone else?? :(

4. toygirl1

toygirl1 Member

We do search the forum...at least I do, and found it most helpful, although this is huge and it can be missed easily.
    Sorry bud. don't have the answer in details, but yup, check out the link.

5. musique

musique Member

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Answer is: No easy solutions. Depends totally on the PAL source -- if it is a typical Hollywood movie, shot with film camera (24fps) and in PAL format (25fps), the PAL is simply sped up by ~2% and re-encoding it back to 23.97fps shouldn't pose dramatic problems. But if it is shot in 25fps (some TV cameras, most videocams), quality drop in audio (which is the main problem in here) might be too dramatic.

Re-encoding is anyway the only viable option (even that theoretically dropping the speed of playback and adjusting the audio speed again with Hollywood 24fps to 25fps conversions when converting back to 23.97fps should be possible, but no one seems to know how to implement this) -- if in VCD, use TMPGEnc, if in MPEG-2, use CCE Basic.

Not sure though, I always make sure to buy region-free multiformat DVD players to avoid such problems, suggest that you order Euro-spec'd Pioneer or Sony from techtronics.com next time you're planning to buy a player ;-)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/[/small]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I use a Fairly simple Method which is simular to the one described were you just slow Down the Video and Audio By 4% ...What I do is Rip the DVD to my Hard drive then use DVD2AVI to make a D2V project File and a Wav audio file out of the Vob files..Then Load the D2V file into Tmpgenc and encode it to 23.97fps But select the "Do Not Frame Rate conversion" in the "Advanced settings" Now when you are Done encodeing you will have a M2V file at 23.97fps But the Audio will now be 4% shorter than the Video so you get the Exact Length of the Video File and write it down..Now I use a Simple Audio editor called "GoldWave" and Load in the Wav audio file and go to "Effects" to "Time Warp" and Type in the Length of the Video File exactly, Now save the New Wav audio file and it will be in perfect sync with the Video and you Just need to author Both audio and Video Files to DVD, Some authoring Program will add the 3:2 Pulldown flags but if yours doesn"t then use something like "DoPulldown" to add them before authoring to DVD, and I usually encode the Wav audio to AC3 because of it"s High Quality and Low File size...I know 2 or 3 other Methods for Pal/NTSC Conversion But this one looks the best...Cheers