1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL vs NTSC

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by janeway, Mar 6, 2006.

1. janeway

janeway Member

i'm making a music video in PAL format cause i'm in Australia....i will be turning it into a DVD and sending it over to Las Vegas....my question is ...when they watch it....will it be all screwed up? should i try to some how convert it to NTSC or will it come out fine?...when i watch NTSC on my region free dvd player here....it comes out fine...just a little smaller at the top and bottom.....so if some one could tell me what PAL dvd's look like when played over seas that would be great....
    thanks!

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Well just about all DVD players in the US are NTSC so i would convert it to NTSC, even if it's made for PAL and you change it so it encodes to NTSC it will play fine in the US.....

3. janeway

janeway Member

hmmm....ok...i guess i'll have to do that....its just i was told that the resolution of pal is better than ntsc when viewed overseas cause the resolution is much better......but then i was told that the audio won't be in sync.....its just interesting just to know excactly what the difference is and which looks better......alternativly i could send two dvd's...one pal and one ntsc...lol
    thanks for replying!

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I'd have to say that PAL looks better, but not if you can't see it properly because your hardware can't handle it.

As said most hardware in the US is NTSC only. In Australia it is rare for a TV not to be multiformat, in the US it is the opposite. There are players that can play PAL and output NTSC though.

5. janeway

janeway Member

ah...ok...so no matter what.....if it works....the dvd players will make it viewed as ntsc....alright...i'll just convert it then.....on the same issue (but should probably be posted else where)....i know with ntsc i should convert too 29.? frames per sec...but what is the best resolution?.....i tried 720x576 and it wouldn't do it....so i did the next one down 720x480 which makes it look vertical...but i don't know if thats because i'm looking at it over hear and if it was viewed oversees...then it wouldn't look vertical.....gosh i can't really articulate properly what i mean...but hopefully you might get the gist...lol

6. janeway

janeway Member

can anyone help me with my previoius post?
    is 720 by 480 better than 704 by 480
    either way the people still look like they're being squshed up a bit.....

7. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  8. janeway

janeway Member

cool...thanks heaps!

9. zidace

zidace Guest

You really can't say for sure which coding is better. It is true that PAL offers a higher resolution than NTSC, but NTSC has a higher frame/second count. So where it lacks in cripsness, it cleans up nicely in vividness.

10. Skewball

Skewball Member

Seriously, have you ever seen a PAL encoded source? I have a number of Region 1 NTSC DVDS amongst my Region2 PAL DVD's and on my 32" widescreen TV NTSC with it's only 525 scan lines looks noticeably "liney". I don't have that problem with PAL. Plus the human eye doesn't notice any movement faster than 25 frames per second so NTSC's 29.97 doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

11. zidace

zidace Guest

Um, well, then you are having a problem with your setup. Do you really think a multi-trillion dollar entity would allow all of our region videos to look "liney"? Just as an expirement; pause your PAL movie, and notice a blur effect, as the frame mixing technology can't distinguish a single frame to stop it at. Now pause your NTSC; notice a clear picture? And, on another note, it has been scientifically proven that the human eye has been able to notice the difference between 30 frames per second, and 220 frames per second. Check your sources man, you are way off. And by all means, buy an HDTV already, they have the ability to display everything in 60 frames per second.

12. Skewball

Skewball Member

Lol, sure, believe whatever you want mate. And my PAL movies pause just fine thank you.

13. janeway

janeway Member

hmmm
    anyway.....i made both versions....and will send the ntsc one over and keep the pal version for myself......i did the nts one in the highest resolution i could...both verions are fine on my dvd player....don't know how either will look on a big screen though....to be honest i haven't looked too closely at the differences....but the ntsc version is good enough to send over....the video and audio timing is fine which is good......and resolution wise its fine.....
    i think because the original clips were 30 frames per second....that helped cause it meant i could encode in both from the original source

14. bizarro6

bizarro6 Member

How did you go from PAL to NTSC? How do you know it will play well in the US? Simply by changing the frame-rate? Hmm, I'm not so sure that is the way to go, but... What editing program do you use?

You might want to consider the Nattress Standard Conversion filters. These have gained a good rep, and come at affordable prices.

See www.nattress.com

Keep me updated on your progress.

Best,

Biz

15. janeway

janeway Member

you r right in that i don't know how it will play over seas....thats just the chance i'm going to have to take.....but i know the ntsc version that i made played as well on my dvd player(which can be playe by both versions) as the pal version i made.....so i assumed that the way the ntsc version played on my dvd would look the same here as over there.....must be wrong......
    this was my proccess
    i coppied the dvd in 30f/s....the resolution was 720 by 576....which is a pal resolution.....then i used ulead video editor to do what i need to be done....then i made a pal version 720 by 576 with 25 f/s
    .....and then used the same project but just put together the ntsc version 740 by 480 i think it is....they were both saved as mpegs...
    then i just turned them into dvd format using the ulead software which made it the same settings as the mpegs....
    once they were dvd format....i burnt them

i really don't know how it will look like being viewed over there but i'm hoping it will look like the ntsc version looks on my dvd player?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  16. zidace

zidace Guest

Geez, I hate it when people don't know what they are talking about, and then try to spoonfeed it to other people. Anyways, the native resolution for NTSC standard is 648 x 486, but it is preferred by a ratio of 4:3 that 720 x 486 is used. And PAL is more commonly set to 720 x 576. But that's all data jibjab, you can set it to any resolution, and get viewable content. For your buddies overseas, they most likely won't come into a problem with playback either way, but to be on the safe side, your dvd should be region free or region 1. And lastly, a little math. Higher frame/sec = more frequently refreshed picture. More frequently refreshed picture = motion capture at its best.

17. janeway

janeway Member

i did say 'I think' at the end of the resolution of the ntsc comment....however....i appologise.

18. zidace

zidace Guest

Nah, my comment was meant for Skewball, not you. It's all good.