1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E85H error U99

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by K2SMN, Jan 4, 2005.

1. soju

soju Member

2. soju

soju Member

This is an update on the DMRE95H that has now been in repair over 2 months and now with an expired warranty (exp 4/3/11). The repair man said that Panasonic verbally told him there is NO part to replace what is broken on the board - the input from the TV - have no idea what the technie term is. So this machine is unable to switch channels as programmed and will only record a local channel that I never watch. Since I always record 1 same channel, I can leave the TV on and it will record correctly but I travel a lot and cannot leave the TV on for weeks at ta time.

Now last night, my 2nd Panny that I have been using extensively for 2 months, suddenly decided that it will NOT record a DVD. It did record a RAM - VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY but I have no way to check if what is on the RAM is good.

Is there any hope for Pannys now? The warranty company has informed me that Panasonic recorders can no longer be covered anymore.........

3. dksmall

dksmall Member

When you turn off the TV are you using the cable box to turn it off? Or are you using the TVs remote and turning off the TV and only the TV?

4. soju

soju Member

Yes, I use the TV remote to turn off the TV only. The cable box is set to turn off about 1am and then turns back on again about 5am.
    I have done this for 6 years and never had a problem until now.

Spoke to the repair man today and he said, it is final, Panasonic confirmed NO PART available to repair this problem. Again told me it has to do with the INPUT and using the red/yellow/white audio/video cables. Need to clarify with him when I pick the DMRE95HS tomorrow.

5. soju

soju Member

Can't believe what has happened with my two Panasonic DVD recorders.

DMRE95HS went to repair end of January 2011. Machine is 6 yrs. old, current warranty to expire 4/3/2011.
    Repair found that main board had to be replaced - timer not working, unable to record programmed shows.
    First week of April, repair shop officially notified that part is no longer available - cannot be repaired. Machine returned to me - unoperable
    REpair shop told me to communicate with Panasonic regarding this as machine was under warranty when taken in for repair.
    After two days of a run-around on the phone, I received a call yesterday saying that the case went to review and that I will be notified by 4/19/11 as to decision.

First week of April, DMREH75V recorder taken in for repair - unable to record to dvds. Machine is 3 years old, current warranty to expire
    May 7, 2011, Panasonic notified repair shop (and later left a message on my phone) that because repair is too expensive ($485) and exceeds the retail value of the machine, that Panasonic will NOT authorize the repair. Case is going to review and I will be notified by 4/20/11 as to decision.

RE 95HS, I guess they will offer me ZERO $$ as the machine is 6 yrs old.

But I am TOTALLY upset with this decision to just NOT authorize the repair of the 75V due to the cost. Don't know how they can make a unilateral decision like that. Have no idea what my recourse will be against a company like Panasonic, but the warranty expires on 5/7 so it better happen fast....... Even if they want it mailed to them for repair - that would be better than nothing.

Can't believe this happened with 2 machines at the same time...
    ....but I still love having a DVD recorder that can edit programs! :)))))

(decided to order the DMR-EH59GA-K and hope getting another Panasonic is NOT a BIG mistake)

6. starrig

starrig Member

Well, that's pretty discouraging. Not a good way to treat customers. I too have an extended warranty on my E85H. I wonder if it will be honored if I have a problem.

Good luck. I hope they decide to keep you as a customer and treat you right.

7. soju

soju Member

HELP!!!

Got one of these EH59's over the weekend and started connecting it on Tuesday.

Using A/V connectors from AV4 IN to hook up to cable box.

Using A/V connectors from OUT on Panasonic to IN on back of TV

Using A/V connectors from AV3 IN to hook up external DVD player.

Able to record programs originally recorded on dvr
    Able to record "live" shows playing on TV
    Able to play dvds on external player on TV

CANNOT use TIMER at all. REcords a BLACK fuzzy screen. If TV is on and timer goes on, picture disappears form TV screen and again the black screen is recorded.

In SETUP, when I tried to download the channels (under Tuning), nothing worked.
    Manual Tuning did nothing, Auto-Setup Restart did not do anything,
    Download from TV - said cannot be done with this TV.

The company B & H is closed until 4/27. Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong or will this not work?

THANKS, please

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  8. vulcanusa

vulcanusa Regular member

soju,

I don't have this machine, but the obvious cause is you haven't selected AV4 as the input when setting up your timer recording. Is it that simple?

9. scott16

scott16 Member

I record with mine, you have to use the cable box to record from,
    you can't record from the antenna b.c the tuner is PAL.

You have to set it to record from AV4 and turn the cable box to the channel you want to record from (my cable box has a timer so it can switch to the channel I want to record at the time I want). so I set the Panasonic timer and the cable box timer and it's not hard to do at all.

Also need to remember the clock is 24 hours (not AM/PM)
    so you have to add 12 hours to the time for PM (7PM is 19:00, etc).

Another thing is Shorten is now called "Partial Delete" (does the same thing and works the same way just a new name).

10. scott16

scott16 Member

I own one and that's what it sounds like to me, you just have to set it to record from
    AV4 when you set the record timer and it will record off the cable box.
    The tuner is PAL so you need to record off the cable box.

11. soju

soju Member

I have the cable connected to AV4 IN but somehow when I set the timer recorder it does not use that - it goes to a black fuzzy screen!

Have not seen anyplace where I select that when setting up the timer.....hmmmmm gotta look again!

12. vulcanusa

vulcanusa Regular member

On the DMR-E85H the timer recording setup screen presents:

Date:
    Start Time:
    End Time:
    Channel:
    Quality:
    Destination:

Plus Code ==============

with the current defaults for each item. You want the Channel setting. When you've scrolled down to highlight Channel, press the BLUE (i.e. Dubbing) button on the remote to cycle through the inputs. According to the manual:

To enter the channel
    Press [3, 4] to select “Channel” and press the numbered
    buttons.
    –To select the input channel (L1/L2/L3)
    Press [DUBBING] (Blue).

The DMR-E85H labels its inputs as: L1, L2, and L3.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  13. soju

soju Member

Thanks again vulcanusa. I am recording right now so was not able to access the prorgam screen for timer recording and also did not reply to scott16's posts for the same reason.

Will do so as soon as recording is over and can check out these other suggestions . Appreciate all the help.

14. vulcanusa

vulcanusa Regular member

There are some functions you can't perform on the DMR-E85H for some reason while a program is recording (like erasing a different recording), but I don't recall NOT being able to access the Timer Setup screen to configure additional timer programs while the unit is recording. Of course, I understand not wanting to take a chance of messing up your active recording by playing around with the options - and I'm not familiar with your unit.

15. soju

soju Member

That is strictly what it was - did not want to chance messing up a recording. esp since this EH59 is still so new to me.

I like the other features - speed, seems easier to edit, dubbing has been nice and quiet, still hunting for old familiar options that are worded differently and placed elsewhere, but seems like a ++ to me esp. after my test timer records that I just wrote about and will probably be downloaded to this board in the next few seconds!!!

Mahalo so much form Hawaii!!

16. soju

soju Member

Hmmmmmm, wrote a post today about about 16:00 and still don't see it here.

Anyway, will try to recap what I wrote earlier.

Much thanks to scott16 and vulcanusa for the quick responses with help (and patience) today in order for me to get the new Panasonic DMR-EH59 working correctly!

In setting the timer-recording, I was setting the channel to the actual channel # and not using the AV4IN like I should have. I switched it and WOW, the timer recording worked two ways:

1. programmed cable box dvr and Panasonic for the same time on AV4In: turned off the Panasonic and the Tv - and the timer recorder WORKED! CAble box was left on as I usually have it on all the time anyway.

2. programmed the Panasonic only using AV4In: left the cable box on and turned off the TV and the Panasonic. Timer recorder worked!

CAN't believe it was so simple and right now I am giving this Panasonic a ++. Since I almost always record only 1 channel, using the cable box tuner is not a problem for me. Still getting used to some features that are a bit different from my other 2 machines but basically most things are same or similar. Thanks to scott16 for the reminder re 24 hr time - a bit to get used to but easy to adjust to this! (BTW, Panasonic did finally approve the repair of my EH75V)

Since I travel a lot, the problem I see is when the electricity goes out and no one is here to turn the cable box on again. WE recently got a new TV Guide and the option to turn the cable box on and off daily (by timer) is no longer an option. Wondering if a timer that you use to turn lights on and off would work the same way??

So again, BIG THANKS to the fine people who helped me through this - I sure appreciate this! :)))))

17. dssidnt

dssidnt Member

Finally replaced compacitors. The unit started to cycle then the display stays on
    HDD CH 271

The HDD LED stays on and the bright blue HDD (lowet left of display) also lit.

Any suggestions??

18. phantuan

phantuan Member

Funny thing is the DVR reset 4 times that one day and hasn't reset all week. It just got a channel lineup this morning, so once it has all the guide data again I'll be curious to see how it behaves

19. TForce1

TForce1 Member

Hi all. I replaced C1413 (it was leaking) when the unit would not power up after the power went out. After about 30 minutes with it plugged in, it came back to life and has been ok for a while.

HOWEVER... just recently, the video out has gotten really bad. I opened it up and see:

C3024, C3026, C3029, and C3031 leaking. Does anyone know if these are involved in the video out circuit? They are all 6.3V, 1000uF, just like the one on the PS board. :(

20. dksmall

dksmall Member

Looks like it. I found C3024 which is in series with the output from the video processor. The other caps are probably in the same area.