1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E85S Discontinued

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by robguy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. robguy

robguy Member

According to Panasonic, this model has been discontinued, and will be replaced in April/May of 2005 with the DMR-E90S. That's why the DMR-E85 has been taken off their Web site.

Since I just bought this puppy from a dealer, and haven't received it yet, I had a few questions, especially after reading discussions on boards regarding the menu turning green, Error U99 problems, etc., and posed Panasonic with a couple of questions when I inquired about what happened to the DMR-E85S. Below is the information:

E-mail from me:
    I noticed that your Web site has removed the Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD recorder. Having just ordered this model, I am concerned that it has been either discontinued or has had a history of problems to cause it to be taken from the Panasonic store shelves.

Is this product still for sale, will it continue to be supported, or should I return my Panasonic when it is shipped to me?

Their answer:
    The E85h has been discontinued. It has nothing to do with any problems only that it is part of the normal course of life for electronics. A new model will be out in April or May time frame. DMR-EH50S.

Thank you for choosing Panasonic

My second e-mail to them:
    Is there any way to download firmware or software updates for the DMR-E85S?

I didn't have any luck ever finding any on the Panasonic Web site with my DMR-E30S (which is still alive and kicking).

Their answer:
    You will need to talk with our tech support group to answer this question.

Thank you for choosing Panasonic

So, it appears they're not owning up to any mistakes with the DMR-E85S, but perhaps putting out the DMR-E90 is an attempt to fix what was wrong with the DMR-E85.

Just passing along a few thoughts.

2. dabv

dabv Guest

I own a DMR E80H. I emailed Panasonic to ask them if there is any way to upgrade the firmware or hard drive.
    They essentially said "No."

3. budberner

budberner Guest

Thanks for all of your input. I know alot of people had problems with their dvd recorder. I'm going to be careful. But I've had no problems with this unit..But I haven't tried to divide,I recapture to computer to edit,chapters,ect.I'm on satelite so no need for the program guide. I just wish you could learn all this before forking out the big cash!!