1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR EZ28 - Tape Feed is Jumpy

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tommich, Feb 4, 2011.

1. tommich

tommich Member

Only on certain VHS Tapes - usually those taped pre-1993 - when I attempt to convert to DVD, the picture remains clear but jiggles, mostly up near the top of the screen. If I disconnect the cables and connect the VCR directly to the TV Set, the picture is stable with no "jumpiness". I tried it with two VCR's, thinking it was a VCR issue, before realizing it only happened when going through the Panasonic DVD Recorder.

It doesn't seem to matter what speed I taped the original at - some were at EP, some LP, some SP. Sometimes I have two different recordings on the same tape (taped at different times), and one recording is fine, but the other jiggles.

Again, it's the exception rather than the rule, but there are several old tapes I definitely want to convert to DVD that this is happening with.

Has anyone ever encountered this, and if I buy a new (different) DVD Recorder, will this issue go away?

2. attar

attar Senior member

No reflection on Afterdawn, but the Videohelp site has a forum dedicated to analogue capture.It may help if you could post there with a link to a small sample that shows the problem.
    If your in North America, it's possible that it's the line 21 closed caption information (which would normally be covered by the TV overscan) which would be visible on the DVD recording - just like the VCR head noise on the bottom of the capture.

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/10-Capturing

3. tommich

tommich Member

Thanks, I'll post it there. If it were a Line 21 issue, is that a universal problem with all DVD Recorders?

4. attar

attar Senior member

I can't say.
    Closed captions were common on TV broadcasts in the nineties and that would be one way it ended up on a tape - but I think it would have to be passed over an S-Video or Component connection to be visible on the DVD recorder - mine were all captured on the composite lead and the only visible artifacts were on the bottom of the frame (VCR head noise).