1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 HDD setting

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by honza.g, Feb 22, 2005.

1. honza.g

honza.g Member

Hi,
    does anybody know how the hard disk jumper should be set? I extracted it and put into my friend's PC (to do backup of some TV programs). But he removed the jumper (to set the HDD up as a slave) and we forgot the original position. When I returned this Samsung HD to my Panny, it failed the boot sequence - SELF CHECK ends with one of these messages: "Error occurred - press Enter ... etc." or "Change the disk ....". I have tried all vertical positions but the error remains. Maybe there is a special horizontal position.
    It's easy to help me if you have the E85:
    I have found no restraints like protection labels.
    Remove the cover (5 screws) and then just unbend the HDD (3 screws) and pick it up to see the jumper area. It is to the left of the power supply socket:
    ~~~~~ [::::] <oooo>
    (looking at the disk label)

So be brave and look at it, please.
    Any other recommendations are welcome.

2. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

I believe it is jumpered as "CS" or "Cable Select". There should be a label on the top of the HD that shows what each jumper position is. Don't change the jumper while the power is on. You must power down each time you try. Also, if anything was written to the hard drive while it was in the computer, you might get the "Format" message. If you format, you will lose any files that were on the HD.
    You might look for a message that talks about how to recover from that situation. It involves removing power from the drive when you get the format request. You then answer "Yes" - it fails. Then, power down, re-connect the power, and it will go into "Self Check" mode. It should recover all the files. Good Luck.
    Roger

3. honza.g

honza.g Member

Thank you, Roger. Situation is much more worse: I set the HDD as CS (of course in unplugged status) but the behavior is still the same. The booting sequence 'SELF CHECK' (started by pressing a power-on key) ends with 'BYE' and "auto-reboot". This second sequence takes longer then usual and it ends with '1' on display and there is a message on the TV: "Error occurred. Please press enter. (..+ something about cancelling timer recording)" After pressing enter on RC the new booting sequence begins and the final TV message is "Change the disk. Press return or enter". having press enter/return the DVD tray ejects (empty of course) and the set goes power off. I am going to Panny servis. I hope that CS position is the right.