1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic plasma 50 hdtv question/problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yikes0_1, May 10, 2010.

1. yikes0_1

yikes0_1 Member

I have a panasonic 50 plasma hdtv (th-50pz80u). I have this recurring video problem. If I watch one channel and never change it, the tv will play forever. If I surf the channels, or go back and forth between two channels I lose the video. This happens if I use the remote or manual tuning. I must wait at least 30 minutes before I can use the tv again. When I lose the picture, the screen will flicker black (no actual video) and the channel identification box will present the information such as number, station call letters, ect. So I end up with a flashing black screen with a flashing channel idenfication box.

I was hoping somebody could tell me if the tuner board (tnph0721a)went bad or whether it might be some other issue. Such as a buffer board, sd board, su board ect. to name a few. Thank you inadvance for your attention to this matter and help. Yes I am out of the warrenty by 2 months.

2. Nicole345

Nicole345 Guest

The tuner maybe its a problem!

3. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

seems like there is a video mute circuit that comes in on channel change .. I would guess from the fault mode that it's a bad cap or a bad connection on a cap or resistor. 30 mins suggests something is charging or discharging. Mute circuits are controlled by electronic switches.. +v or -v or grounded, only 3 states a control pin on a gate can be at.. on, off or floating.. a cheap way to make a gate stay open or closed for a short time is to charge or discharge a cap connected to the line controlling the gate, very likely in this kind of case run from the tuner control (channel switching) line.

got a schematic I can have a butchers at?