1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic vs Sony vs Canon

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by sadievan, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sadievan

sadievan Member

Am trying to decide between the Sony DCR-HC30, Panasonic PV-GS15 or 14, or the Canon ZR90 or 85. Any feedback welcomed. I think I am leaning toward the Sony for the low light and the Analogue pass through. I have an old VHS-C that I would like to convert to put on dvd's.

Thanks,
    Carol

2. sadievan

sadievan Member

Am also considering the Panasonic PV-GS70D, but not sure I want to spend that much and kind of like the smaller size of the Sony.

Carol

3. sadievan

sadievan Member

I'm sorry that should read the Panasonic PV-GS120.

Thanks for your help. Need to make a decision soon.

Carol

4. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

Sony DCR-HC30, Panasonic PV-GS15, or Canon ZR90 same quality but Panasonic PV-GS70 much better,

5. thinline

thinline Member

Panasonic good camera manufacturers and Sony have good quility picture but id still have to go with the Panasonic over the Canon and Sony

6. eniced73

eniced73 Member

Definitely do not go with the Canon. I bought one and have nothing but trouble with it. Had to sent it in 3 different times in one year to get it fixed. I have to admit that their customer service was OK. I had to pay for the first fix - $166.00, but the next two I talked them into covering. I might have gotten a lemon, since Canon is supposed to be a superior brand.

7. mullie

mullie Member

The Panasonic GS120 is in a different class to the other two, as it has 3CCD's compared to the 1CCD found in almost all consumer camcorders. The 3CCD system results in much better colour reproduction, although some reviews of this particular camcorder aren't too impressed with the image detail. I'm about to buy one so I guess I'll find out for myself!

8. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

sure...all 3CCD cameras are perfect (especiallly panasonic cameras)

9. beaters

beaters Member

Here's my feedback. I'm in a similar quandry but with some experience. I have used an older Sony, a TRV-520, at work for some years. As far as it goes it is a fine camera. I love the features and the ease of use of the menu, settings, etc. It also has a couple of really handy features: an external mic input and great low light capability. Unfortunately it is a 1/6 CCD model which means half-assed resolution.

When I bought my first camcorder last year I bought a Canon Z65 (quite similar to the Z85). Trouble. Should have done my homework. No microphone jack. So I'm limited to the cruddy on camera microphone. Well it's no cruddier than other decent on cam mics, but still, it's very handy to be able to use an external microphone. I especially like wireless mics, but I digress.

I went and looked at Sonys recently. What I want is basically the same features as in the TRV 520, but higher resolution. That seems to be a hard order to fill under about $1200. Sony now seems to have a lot of lower end stuff that is compact, but has few of the features I want. Many of their models are disk recording, which seems pretty dumb to me unless one just wants to make short home videos. Another thing I don't trust is touch screen control. Give me real buttons and switches, please.

Another thing I don't like about the Canon that became quickly apparent: the tapes load on the bottom of the camera. That means when you need to change tapes, the camera has to come off the tripod if it's on one. This can be a major pain and mean much lost footage. The old Sony TRV-520 by contrast loads from the top of the camera. a tape chane takes about 30 seconds with no messing with the tripod.

However, it is hard to argue with Sony's track record. I have never had a problem with the TRV-520 and I've put it to hard use for about 4 years. The Canon OTOH, has had to be returned once already due to faulty audio input/output. This mirrors what Consumer Reports says about Canon vs Sony in terms of reliability: Sony beats Canon hands down in this area.

That's my 2 cents worth. ;-}>

10. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Member

I am also looking at DV camera's so I picked up the November issue of Consumer Reports. Strictly on their overall scoring they rated them as follows.

1)Sony DCR-HC30
    2)Panasonic PV-GS120
    3)Canon ZR90
    4)Panasonic GS15

They gave the Sony a "best value in digital tape" (along with the Sony DCR-TRV260/460). None of the DV camera's they evaluated had less than good picture quality (the Sony's rated very good), but the DCR-H30 rated only fair for audio quality. The H30 did rate excellent for image stabilization though.

Their best buy rating was given to the Sony DCR-TRV260. It rated very good for image and sound quality, but only got good ratings for image stabilization and ease of use. It was also rated the best in low light along with the Canon Elura 60/65.

FYI, they listed Sony as having the lowest repair and serious problems (Panasonic was the next closest).

Like anything else though, what realy matters is what's important for your use. I am going to try one in a store before buying. I want the trial to include a download to PC if possible.

11. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi everyone.

just my input on this, i am a semi pro videographer, and i currently run 2x panasonic NV-GS400 (old model was the MX-500) and i stil use my older NV-GS70 (now the NV-GS120) and all i can say is if anyone is concidering paying the same (or a bit less) money for a sony or canon single ccd camera as opposed to the awesome 3ccd panasonic cameras, then your cheating youself out of much better quality.
    everyone has this attitude that sony are the best of everything, so buy a sony, but all i can say is that $ for $ and bang for bucks, the panasonic 3ccd cameras win hands down, and if u dont agree, ur not reading the same articles as i am or u havent used and compared these panasonic 3ccd cams against the equivelant priced single ccd sony and canon cameras.
    my supplier has a camera store on ebay aust, and he sells all the panasonic 3ccd cameras plus accessories, and i have posted his url below for u to check out his shop.
    new NV-GS400 (ex MX-500 model) is $2145 (retails at about $3100)
    new NV-GS200 (new model) is $1570 (retails at about $2400)
    new NV-GS120 (ex NV-GS70) is $1338 (retails at about $1950)

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQgoto...dsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

good luck with it, hope it goes ok no matter what u decide to buy, but think very carefully b4 u do ok......GLEN

cameras rated by price/performance

1. CANON XL2 (rrp $8999) http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/cameras_video/xl2.html
    2. SONY HDRFX1 (rrp $6998) http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/...PCBKUNJESCWSCFBSFEQK0IIUEIV0?categoryId=23774
    3. PANASONIC NV-GS400 (rrp $3099) http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=2115
    4. PANASONIC NV-GS200 (rrp $2419) http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=729
    5. PANASONIC NV-GS120 (rrp $1979) http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=727
    6. CANON XM2 (rrp $4999) http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/cameras_video/xm2.html

all prices quoted are aust$$$

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2004
  12. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Member

I am glad to hear input from a semi professional videographer. Your knowledge and observations concerning image quality is appreciated.

I can't speak for Sadievan, but I think he's working with a budget like me. None of the (4) camcorders he listed go for more than $700. I am trying to stay under $500 myself. The difference between $700 and $1,570 is more than a few dollars and well outside my price range. Would you have any input on camera's in the under $1000 price range?

13. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi dnd4evr (do u live in usa, aust or uk)

if u live in usa, the panasonic 3ccd camcorders are prefixed by PV, not NV like here in aust.
    u can get a PANASONIC PV-GS120 for around $699us, the PV-GS 200 is $999us and the PV-GS400 is $1499us at the panasonic website posted right here

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...51&catalogId=11005&langId=-1&catGroupId=17174

all the prices that i listed in my previous posts are in aust$ only

i cant seem to find any of these 3 camcorders on ebay usa, but we in aust can buy them very cheaply as i mentione in my previous post, thats where i get mine from, but the panasonic usa website prices are even cheaper than we pay here on ebay in aust$$$ so go get one, u guys in usa are so lucky with camera and pc items, they are so cheap.

dnd4evr, if u need to continue input with me in here, u can send me a private message ok.

good luck everyone.....GLEN