1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 1080p unconvert dvd player...??

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by NexGen76, Apr 10, 2007.

1. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

2. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Anyone????

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That player just came out less than a month ago. All I know about it is that it is hard to keep in stock and we have not had any returns as of yet to my store. You would actually be doing me (and everyone else) a favor if you bought it and reviewed it for us. If you don't have the time thats cool. Remember you can always return the player for a full refund if you don't like it. Don't forget to pick up an HDMI cable no matter which player you choose.

As for the match-up, the XBR2 is a 1080p set that is a fantastic monitor but its video processing is lacking so you might see a substantial difference in picture quality if the Panasonic has good video processing. I do know the Panny doesn't have name brand video processing inside so I can't tell from the specs if it will have a larger impact over a regular up-convert DVD player or not.

To understand what I mean check out this page by HQV (Hollywood Quality Video). They make the untouchable Realta processor found in the best video scalers and digital movie projectors in the industry. They also make the best budget processor in the industry, the Reon-VX which is in Toshiba's flagship HD-DVD player and all high-end Denon DVD players.

The technology page:
    http://www.hqv.com/technology.cfm

Another name brand video processor creator is Faroudja. They where more in demand before HQV came along but you can still find there budget DCDi processors in high-quality low-price DVD players and audio receivers.

Technology page:
    http://www.meridian-audio.com/faroudja/technology.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Ced: Maybe we should ask the mods to transfer this thread to the DVD players section. Maybe someone there may have more info on this model.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Good idea!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

7. casemodd

casemodd Member

I got this dvd player just for my sony hdtv it works great video quality via hdmi is awesome im glad i got this. I have tried dvd+r dl (verbatim) dvd+r (tdk) no problems yet. Loaded my divx dvds and it played it flawless. I do notice the grainy quality on the hdtv though but thats not the tv you know thats the disk media on it. I don't see how you can go wrong in buying this. Has all the buttons i liked only thing i didnt like was the feel of the remote other then thats its perfect.

8. MrGrimace

MrGrimace Member

I picked this up today, but have not gotten home to test it out yet. I will reply later with a review (One of my main concerns is whether it will play Qpel encoded AVIs or not as I am upgrading from a Phillips DVP642)

Update:
    The review is up at:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/495855

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007