1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

partition errror on win2k

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by andmerr, Sep 27, 2004.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

One of my drive partitions developed an error, why would it do an automatic format.

any suggestions welcomed

andmerr

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

What do you mean by 'automatic format'

You boot up and there is nothing on the Hard Drive now ?

CJC

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I mean exactly that ,i am running ntfs with partition magic 8.My computer said that there were errors on drive L and before i could do anything it re formatted that partition automatically.I lost 60 gig of infomation.
    It is only that partition which is empty.
    Can anyone explain why?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Windows Cannot just format your hard drive out of the blue. Formatting has to be done in dos mode without windows running.

Does the Hard Drive show up in My Computer, and the contents is empty... Or it doesnt show up in my comptuer at all.

What brand of Hard Drive is it?

I see you said you have Parition Magic, it could be possible that you were playing around with that, and set it to format, and just closed the program, hence next restart it would format the hard drive, as its set in its to do list.

CJC

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

CJC i am baffled by this as all it said was that there was an error detected and the next thing i know it formatted itself, using the partition magic protocols.(you no when you change the partition sizes ,when the effect takes place and it says how the drive is and it spits all the info out really quickly etc.)I WASNT USING PARTITION MAGIC at that stage and i cant explain what happened to it

quote: Does the Hard Drive show up in My Computer, and the contents is empty

thats what i have now an empty drive that is shown on my pc.