1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

partition magic 8 messed up

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Mr_Del, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I just used this program to resize patitions on my main drive. In its process it stopped responding to windows. Lucky for me it was working on the second partition at the time.

Bad thing for me is now that partition is not accessable. Thats a bunch of stuff lost unless you know of a way to repair the now damaged partition.

I know I should have a back up. Thats my own fault.

-DEL

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ummmmm. scratch that. I rebooted again and Windows fixed it on its own. Now I change the question to this. What should I do to ensure this wont happen on my next attempt. Now Im scared to do it.

-Del

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You always need to reboot before changes made by Partition Magic take effect. It sounds like it rewrote the partition table, which is read at boot time, but then froze. Maybe something else was running in Windows that made it freeze. You had a lucky escape! I have found running PM in Windows a chancy business for this reason. Better to run the DOS version, I think, and i suggest you follow the instructions to make a PM bootable floppy set and use that. You need two floppy disks.

If you don't have a floppy drive then perhaps investigate getting a pen drive and making it bootable, or making a bootable CD-ROM.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007