1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

partition magic nightmare

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Nissan101, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

ok so i was going to merge me primary partition E: with a logical(data) partition E: so when i go and restart for changes to make effect, partition magic 8.0 does the rest then out of nowhere there comes an error message:

"Error #1520: External attribute header mismatch (EA3905F0)"
    so i go to symantec's website and they say run CHKDSK F: /f

so i do but when i try to view files in the directory F: i see nothing like if there are no files but if i look under properties, the same space is still being used- like if nothing was removed.

Now I am asking for some help on how i can salvage my 50+ gigs of music and movies.

EDIT.

Iwas messing around with the file views and i found a LOT of .chk recovery files anybody know a way of recovering these files?

thnx.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What size is your hard drive? Partition magic 8 has a maximum disk size of 128 MB, if your disk was bigger the data may be hosed. Sounds like it is hosed, and your music and movies have gone to Data Heaven. That LOT of .chk files (uh-oh!) are the result of chkdsk repairing the filesystem. They MAY contain some of your lost data. There is a paid for utility called chkmate which might be able to recover some data, but personally I would not spend the money.

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/chkmate.htm

Moral: Back up your data BEFORE monkeying around with partitions!

3. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

dude the drive is only 80 gigs, and how can partition magic only work with 128MB? when trying to scan the disk i come across an error reading that the partition table is bad or something and i also get errors saying

Error 1613 - Directory flag set for a nondirectory file 24
    Error 1613 - Directory flag set for a nondirectory file 25
    Error 1613 - Directory flag set for a nondirectory file 26

and i tried that one chkmate but it is very slowwwwwwwwwwww

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sorry I meant 128 GB. Like I said, back up your data before monkeying around with Partition Magic. Partition table is screwed, you may as well kiss that data goodbye. The space is used, sure, but the data is scrambled. Gone. Forever.

5. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

then what is CHKDSK /f good for if it doesn't fix errors?

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

chkdsk is a low-level filesystem repair tool. There are layers of stuff on the disk underneath the "files". The partition table is part of the filesystem which is the formatted layout on the disk, of sectors, which holds the files that you see when you use e.g. Windows Explorer. When you messed up the filesystem with Partition Magic, it became unusable. When you used chkdsk to repair the damage, it nuked the trashed stuff to make the filesystem usable again.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  7. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

at least i have been able to encounter songs i all this mess o well i guess i have over 40 gigs of checking i have to do this is going to take some time

by the way thanks for the quick responses =)

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Good luck!

9. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

hi im using partitionmagic 8 and i am trying to merge two ntfs partitions together but it wont allow as it says one is version 3.1 and the other is version 0.0, any way of changing 0.0 to 3.1?
    thanks

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

version 0.0 & version 3.1 makes no sense,regardless,just delete the old partition assuming it comes after the one your trying to merge it with,then resize,if the partition your deleting or merging comes before,it would be best to reformat,when merging you run a greater risk of data loss or partition table corruption as i found out the hard way hence i don't bother with it

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  11. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

thanks for the reply, thats exactly what i did, made no sense to me either but presumably, well i thought anyway, the program developed to do such a thing would know better!just wanted the one overall drive rather than two but regardless at least the partition is in use again.

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sweet as,pm is a real pain,bloody symantec haven't bothered to update it in ages & it can throw up some weird nonsense errors,if you were ever thinking of getting a new partition manager later on acronis have one

13. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

nice one scorp thanks