1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partition???

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by maynard1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. maynard1

maynard1 Member

I modded a xbox with a xenium gold solderless, the hard drive space is unbelievably small is there a way to partition? Unit is for sale NYC!!!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

the most i have seen anyone get out of one is 2GB. The stock drive is just a worthless piece of junk that will be either an 8GB or 10GB. You have a chip so why not just take that one out, slap in a bigger compatible drive (same IDE drive that is in a PC) and then use Slayer 2.7 (download) to format it and install a lot of great stuff. I personally went with a 300GB Western Digital.
    All you need are Torx screwdrivers and about 10 minutes to change one.
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-install-a-new-hdd-and-format-it-using-slayers-2-6-t672.html (they have Slayer 2.7 now)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. maynard1

maynard1 Member

thank you for the reply,
    I only asked because this is the third one that I have done, the two previous were purchased used from electronics boutique and both fit 10+ emulators and full sets of roms, and the third was exactly as you put it a worthless piece. So I was confused when this most recent one wouldn't fit much.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

That is why a modchip is so great. Then you can put in a REAL HDD and have plenty of space for any program, plus play all your games from the hard drive rather than a disc. If the chips BIOS supports IGR (In Game Reset) you can play several gaves without even leaving your seat. You press a button combo on the controller after your done playing a game, it takes you back to the main screen (Dashboard) and you just choose your next game and away you go.

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

So can softmod...

6. steimy

steimy Active member

sure, you can with a softmod as well. But switching a hard drive is no where near as easy. And recovering from corrupt files or problems with a softmod is also no nearly as easy.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'd rather spend the time, money and effort on building an eeprom reader once and Softmodding countless Xboxs then to Modchip each one individually!

Not only is the cost a factor, but if you have an eeprom reader, there is virtually no problem you can't fix, including easily adding large HDDs.

To me, the only advantage of a modchip is to fix a corrupt BIOS. Most Xboxs will NEVER encounter this issue! I actually removed my Modchip and Softmodded it! I now use the chip to diagnose client problem machines.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

It doesn't matter what you do, or how you do it. Switching a hard drive in a softmodded system will never be as easy as it is with a modchip. You still have to build the drive in the PC using xboxhdm which means taking apart your PC and unhooking drives and all that junk. With the modchip you just take one out, put the other in and use Slayer to do the rest for you.

I am sure your way works for you, but most people are only modding one Xbox. You most likely have things set up to easily do what needs to be done to build drives and so on. The average person will not.