1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parts from current machine into new case?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by group21, Feb 20, 2005.

1. group21

group21 Member

This is driving me crazy because I cannot find a clear answer anywhere, so if you know -- PLEASE reply back and help me out.

I was wondering if was possible to use my current Intel Celeron 2.50GHz CPU and 60GB HDD from my eMachines, and put it in a new case with a new copy of WinXP, motherboard, 512mb RAM, and new graphics card. (My emachines doesnt have an AGP slot, so i was going to replace the motherboard to get a new graphics card.)

Is my CPU and HDD tied into my emachines somehow and impossible to put in a new system, or can it be done?

Please reply back!

Thanks.

2. tommyl

tommyl Guest

yes it can be done but you have to know if the new motherboard supports that processor-processor speed-front side bus for that processor and the cache for that processor you can find this out buy going to the manufacturer of the mother boards website and seeing if it supports the processor you have know as for the harddrive these are universal it will work in the new machine but you will have to format and install a new copy of windows in it

3. tommyl

tommyl Guest

let us know how it goes

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you lostfuze who posted on computing.net?? as long as new motherboard has same socket(s) for cpu & memory, you should have no problem & might not have to re-install xp if just remove board drivers in safe mode

5. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

And here I thought I knew everything. I was always told you MUST reformat your HD if you install a new MOBO, but I never really thought of uninstalling the old drivers in Safe Mode. Thats a good idea as I will have to try it.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

done it in win98se & xp

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Don't forget to remove the video drivers if you are going to keep the same HD without a fresh install. They will be your worst enemy on that new board.

8. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

I have changed a mobo and processor and memory added a new hdd and graphics card and didnt format my hard drive.