1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Almost not operating li'l help please

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Wyattspop, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Apologies, I didn't mean to be so vague...sitting at my desk for longer than I have in a decade has me punchy. Imagine getting hit with a sledgehammer directly on your lower back, then trying to work on your PC, that's what 10 blown discs does..(the Morphine patch and Vicodin doesn't add to my lucidity either) (-;/ I've already moved everything over to prepare for a recovery, but I'd rather repair it since I could easily have "saved" the virus, correct? Let's fix it if you're still inclined to assist me. Thanks again so very kindly.

2. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Sincere apologies, so I don't waste space, my reply to you is the same as DP if you'd care to read it...I'd like to fix it and remove the viruses. I can't see how to make the fixlog BTW, just the ones that come up when I ran the proggie you told me to...

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I always feel that fixing is the best then, if it don't work, a restore or plow and pave is the last option....

I will be working the next 3 days so just make me some new logs and I'll look them over when I get home and let you know if we have a chance of fixing it..

[​IMG] Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
    • Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
      (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
    • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
    • Press Scan button and wait.
    • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
    Please attach these logfiles to your next reply.

2oG :)

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Here ya go, I'm so sorry, can't figure out how to do the .logtxt. Whatever it is, MSE isn't picking it up..

Attached Files:

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, I can find nothing in these logs that suggests that you have any malware...
    Therefore, it may be a system or network problem....

Please try to explain the problems you are having.. As best you can so I might get a hint of what it may be....

2oG

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey brother, did I send you adequate logs? It is behaving like a virus. I ask because I'm certain it's not isolated to my network, my lappie and even my son's identical HP desktop (same make and model as the one you've tasked to help me with) are not slowed at all. Wyatt's desktop is even being used wirelessly, which as I understand not to be ideal for a desktop PC (but I have no way to get an ethernet cable to him from upstairs to down). Also, it's affecting the performance even in windows, just playing a vid, bringing up a Word doc, anything I do is affected. Thanks

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

desktops have no issues using wireless.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yes, you had adequate Logs.. Just what does a virus act like? What is it doing specifically? Slow, some things not working or just what?

Run this little pgm. and see if it will tell me anything:

-Security Check-

Download Security Check by screen317.
    Save it to your Desktop.

Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document or attach the file.

2oG o_O

9. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I will run the tool and report back promptly, thank you. Sorry, I know "gut instinct" isn't synonymous with PC troubleshooting, and I don't have a fraction of your experience, but I have spent decades working with electronics (beginning with the F-15A Eagle when I was in the USAF in '81 at 18) and I've never seen a PC with so much free space, only used for web-surfing and DVD ripping/family photos, perform so poorly unless a virus was bogging things down..doesn't mean much, I'm just a big fan of Occum's Razor (all things being equal, the simplest explanation is typically the correct one). I have, however, never seen disc failure, so what you say sounds plausible, not a virus.

10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I'm sorry, the symptoms; it's barely opening any program, typing behind my keystrokes and locking up completely at will (I'll be typing and nothing happens) and it logs on to websites like a dialup.

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

One of the most telling symptoms of bad RAM is deteriorating global system performance. Your computer will work perfectly fine when you first start it up. The longer you leave it on, however, the worse its performance becomes.....

First thing I would try is to remove my RAM sticks and re-seat them to make sure they are not loose and are well seated....

12. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thank you, it would be odd, the PC might be 2 years old and low mileage to boot, but your prognosis jives. I will reseat the cards, but again, I'm an electronics geek, I've never "manhandled" the tower in a way that would jar them loose. I keep the vents clean, run frequent maintenance, monitor fans etc. How about a disk clean or similar? Thank you
    I imagine after this, we have no other option but reformat?

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Maybe not..... I keep forgetting that you don't do some of this kind of crap so, let's take a different route..

RAM sticks, known for their chip creep and random failures, are among the more annoying pieces of hardware to pinpoint as the source of a technical issue. Before you start digging around in the tower, it's best to start with a quick and free memory check via Windows. This way, you'll know whether or not it's worth swapping around sticks of RAM to see which one is the dud.

Here's how to get started:

Step 1: Open the Start Menu and type mdsched.exe in the search box, then click mdsched.exe at the top of that screen.

Step 2. A pop-up will appear on your screen, asking how you'd like to go about checking the memory. The first option will restart your machine and check the memory right now, and the second option checks the next time you choose to reboot. Pick the option that best suits your needs.

Step 3: Your computer will load a screen that shows the progress of the check and number of passes it will run on the memory. Watch the memory diagnostic tool for errors. If there are no errors, then it's likely that your RAM is not causing any issues, and it's time to investigate other hardware or software issues.

2oG :)

14. ddp

can also use this program to check your ram. http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
    I use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on ram & cards like video & network. learned that 1 when working at Celestica 1998 to 2002.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Doesn't everybody?? :p

And you must burn a disk or usb stick for memtest86...

Tell me, ddp, how can you get a good test of ram if the test program is running in the bad ram?? o_O

16. ddp

how can you get windows to test the ram while using bad ram?

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Run mdsched.exe.... [​IMG]

18. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Done, no issues listed...

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I find no malware.. Guess your ram is ok..
    Only thing I can think of now is: C drive needs defraging... defrag your C: drive!............ Do you know how??

20. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I do, thanks, is the built-in system one adequate or should I DL a better one? BTW, it is "operating" better, but still bogging down under normal usage...