1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Almost not operating li'l help please

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Wyattspop, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I had no idea, since I use Explorer, I think I've only ever even launched the Firefox half a dozen times this past year. As soon as I disabled Win Media Player, my PC went back to normal (almost) but it wrecked my network sharing, file sharing between my PC's so I will turn it back on. Shall I simply uninstall Firefox all together? Thanks so much

2. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I'm sorry, I missed the instruction to default IE....I thought it was my default, I only ever use IE, I tried Firefox a few times on a lark, no idea where all the plugins came from. I doubt I've spent over 10 min knowingly using Firefox and only a handful of times....ever! I'm on it.

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

You called it, my PC is now flying...both on the net and in Windows...my only real issue now is my network sharing is "broken". It only works when I shut off my Firewall, and I don't know how to allow my own network through my Firewall (I use the stock Firewall). To simplify the process, I decided to take some screenshots for you of my current settings, including something that doesn't look quite right called "free my pc's" as seen in the photo. Can you help me to restore the sharing? One key piece of info, I can't turn on media sharing etc...it shuts off right away and I re-enabled Media Player/Center. Thank you

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, I am going over all of this as best I can.... "free my pc's" as seen in the photo." I see NO photos so I will just suggest a few things.......

[​IMG] Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)
    Please also download the attached scriptfile, named zoekscript.txt.

[​IMG] Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs, so they do not interfere with the running of Zoek.exe. You can find instructions how to disable your security applications here.

Now, on your Desktop, drag and drop zoekscript.txt on Zoek.exe as shown below:
    [​IMG]

Please approve any UAC prompt to allow this action to proceed.

Answer Yes to the following prompt to allow the zoek script to run:

[​IMG]

This action causes Zoek.exe to start automatically. Please be patient while Zoek is scanning.

When the tool finishes, the zoek-results.log is opened in Notepad.
    The log is also found on the systemdrive, normally C:\
    If a reboot is needed, the log is opened after the reboot.

Please attach the zoek-results.log to your reply.

Hopefully this will reset your FF to defaults and reset your Network.... After running this then please rerun FRST to give me a current update on what you have:

[​IMG] Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to your Desktop.
    • Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
      (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
    • Press Scan button and wait.
    • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
    Please attach both logs to your next reply.

Hang it there!
    2oG :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

First, here are the screenshots I promised...
    H
    Here you are Sir

Attached Files:

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

So I totally removed Firefox and when I tried to repair my network sharing capabilities. nothing worked until I turned Media Player back on and shut my firewall off. However, my internet browsing is bogging down once again since I turned media player back on. You have the logs now. Thanks

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have gone over and over the logs and you have no malware or bad programs that can be found....
    At this point in time I must come to the conclusion that if you want to continue using this computer for the purpose you have been using it, you must add more memory....... I suggest adding at least 4 GB to bring you up to 8GB total and that should give enough room without sacrificing anything you now use..

8. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Really? With 497 GB of the 687 total free? If you think that will do the trick, I'll comply of course...but I'm only using like 200 GB of memory, and probably 110 GB is the operating system, is it due to transfer or something? Seems like a lot of free space to need more memory, and my external has 230 GB free to boot. Would you mind telling me how adding to the already 500 GB empty space could help? I'll take your valuable advice, I just like to learn....and thank you again. It is still operating very poorly.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4 gigs of ram is different from hard drive space. check in "physical memory" in task manager & list "total, cached, available & free" amount of ram.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Tnx, ddp.... Sorry if I wasn't clear..

Wyattspop, Check your RAM use in Task Manager, Resource Monitor again and you are probably running out of RAM..

Add More RAM and that should give you enough room to run everything you have installed without deleting a lot or re-installing...

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You definitely need more RAM if you intend to keep all your programs and plugins that you have installed....

In the meantime, here's a little trick that I haven't used or even thought about in a long time that might keep you going until you can add more RAM:

I just know you must have a thumb drive laying around with about 4 GB of free space left on it..
    Plug it in and when the AutoPlay box comes up, click on Speed up my system.

Capture1.PNG

You will then see the Properties box:

Capture2.PNG

Under the ReadyBoost tab it will show you how much space you can reserve.
    Make sure you have at least 2000 to 4000 MB then select Use this device and click Apply.

This should give you (hopefully) enough cache to be able to run better than you are at this stage until you can get more RAM to fix your problem....

Let me know if it works and how it acts?

2oG

12. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey my friends, I ended up doing a restore, after a month of trying to fix it I just ran out of time to invest in making adjustments. I have 443 GB free of my 687 now. I do have a question, there is a file on my PC now called "Windows.old", can this be deleted now? It's right next to "Windows" on C drive and appears to be a duplicate of Windows, however it's 73 GB and my actual "Windows" file is 24.1 GB...something doesn't look right...like I didn't transfer the entire contents of my PC back to new Windows after the restore...Thanks my friends

13. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I meant to ask, how would ram be beneficial when I had hundreds of GB's of free space and wasn't even at like 40% of my free space? Again, many thanks

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Ram and hard drive space are 2 different animals..... No one said you were short on drive space.. You were using ALL of your RAM and your computer had NO Place to put anything else..... Now that you have re-installed windows you are not using all the programs you were before. If and when you start using them again YOU WILL RUN OUT OF RAM! Period...
    And, yes you can delete the old windows, that was left so you can recover something that you want or need that was left out of the reinstall...

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Look at it like this: RAM is your work space and Disk Space is your filing cabinet.. You only had 4 GB of work space and were using ALL of it.. You have tons of filing space, no problem there. YOU NEED MORE RAM!

16. ddp

Wyattspop, in task manager, look under the performance tab for "physical memory, post what is "total, available, cached & free". what is the make & model# of your computer or motherboard & how many ram slots used & empty?

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Think about it, ddp, he just reinstalled windows and lost all those programs that were eating up his RAM. His RAM usage at this time is OK but, when he re-installs those programs he lost, it will be a different story......

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Setup a password on that computer so nobody else has access to the admin account/s,firefox & that vpn didn't just install themselves,make a backup disc for password recovery as well then hide it

services.msc can be used to set any not regularly used startup programs to manual start (some programs like print
    spooler will require opening & using services.msc to start them if set to manual).An example would be a few i've set on mine:

print spooler = printer driver
    WMI Performance
    Windows live sign in
    bluetooth = if you don't use no need for it
    skype updater = can do that myself
    remote desktop =good for spying on other peoples surfing habits i'm watching you all so is the NSA mwaaaa,mwaaa,mwaaaaaaa

19. ddp

I never update remote desktop.

20. ronhondo732

ronhondo732 Member

Could be a hard drive going bad.