1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Almost not operating li'l help please

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Wyattspop, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

Wyattspop, I have looked through a good bit of the advice and there were no comments about your router. One of the more sophisticated tricks is to infect your router. They man in the middle everything you do so not only can they spy on you but they add back doors to what you download. Even if you format your C: they can be bad in business in a day. I would check out my router. Pay particular attention to the firmware version and the url of the firmware update make a note of both of those. Then verify the firmware version at the firmware update url on the most secure computer you can find. If it looks like someone has been screwing with your router then, take it off line. Reset the device and connect to a clean computer and clean up the mess. Make your ID and pass at least 30 characters long. Copy and past the ID and pass to notepad print them out and tape them to the router. Only allow 1 login error. Update your firmware with a clean copy. If you can't the router is toast! The most sophisticated hackers can make their firmware RO. If you have that your computer likely has firmware virus. These are not curable. Backdoors are hidden in the firmware. There is no cure or any protection from this type of malware and will not for many years. 'They' are working on a new set of rules for firmware where updates must be validated before they can write. My guess it will take 5 years before they are at the store.

I fear by that time the hackers will have stolen all the keys to update the firmware. They know hard disk firmware better than the hard disk firmware engineers. Even someone like me can figure out they must have ALL their code for all their hard disks. This is for every hard disk built in years.

Even if your router doesn't have a read only firmware you might want to use a 'good' copy of a partitioning software to see if you have a hidden partition. Some firmware malware creates a nearly undetectable partition on your C:. When you format C: that partition doesn't get touched. I wouldn't download a copy off the internet since that might be tainted. BTW... I am a paranoid SOB or just careful depending on your point of view. You boot from the hidden partition so you aren't even using real windows but some hacker OS. The OS will tell you your C: is of the right size even though it is not.
    You can delete the partition with a partition handler that can see it but I suggest not to. They still have the back door so the next time you boot up it will come back again but that hackers will start to play 'hardball' with you. Although they may be doing that already.

You can Google firmware malware to get more detailed info.

Good Luck!

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

I think 2old would have picked anything computer router even monitor related.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You are correct 007, his problem is that he doesn't have enough RAM to run all that he has installed,,,, Period!
    If you look at the world through piss colored glasses like MES, Bless his heart, You can conjurer up almost anything..:rolleyes:

4. Mez

Mez Active member

2 old I agree with not enough ram. 007 as smart as you think you are, there hasn't been any mention of checking the router. If not I assure you 2 old will correct me. we don't see eye to eye but 2 old is not stupid.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Thank you Mez, that was apparent.
    Why do you think I asked for the logs.... The router is OK!
    The problem is that the router is situated on the second floor and does not cover the first floor of his home... He will need to move the router to a better location or add a router to a location that will cover the first floor computers...
    If he is unable to run Ethernet cable to the first floor, it will be a hunt/trial and error situation.

6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member