1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Build, Ubuntu 10.04

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by Blackhawk378, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Blackhawk378

Blackhawk378 Member

I'm thinking on building a new PC with CPU an MB. I'll be encoding DVDs and compressing and uncompressing archives.

I currently have a Asus PB-5 Deluxe MB and Intel Duel Core 1.5 CPU. My CPU is over clocked to 3.0 Ghz and running pretty good.

I was looking at a Intel i5 or AMD Athlon IIx4 for CPUs. For MB I was leaning twords another Asus. Having the ability to overclock with stability was a option I like.

Being new to this forum are there any recommendations from folks. I'd like to try to keep my budget reasonable, meaning ~200 form CPU and ~100 form MB or more if there are advantages.

ty,

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

whats wrong with what you have? .. your bottleneck is probably the amount of bloat with ubuntu .. especially all the bloat with gnome and mono!! .. beware of "cutting edge" hardware because you could well find yourself with parts which don't work while you wait for people reverse engineering drivers for it.

I run raw and lean debian x64 .. that's probably a better way to go because these dual core things are basically a con right now..

to get screaming edge performance from the new hardware you will have to wait for people tweaking the distros to work with it properly.. or build your own to specifically use the hardware properly.

I build cluster supercomputers in my spare time .. everything has to be built from source with the specific hardware requirements, architecture and layout taken in to account.. have fun.. save your money for beer instead. btw 1.5+ 1.5 = 3 .. not a lot of overclock going on really heh? you would get the same from running a truly parallel home compiled kernel... or the old twin xeon trick of splitting a 64 bit os across both sets of registers.