1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC builder warranty and Return policy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikeh0303, Jul 5, 2007.

1. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Hi, I am thinking about starting a small buisness making custom computers, but i need a warranty and return policy, I can't afford a lawyer so I tried to write the policy myself, have a read if you like and tell me what you think, this is the only place that seems to match what I wanted to post, but if you think it should be move just let me know.

Here it is for the laywers out there:

Your computer comes with a 1 year limited warranty provided by Michael H*******. Please read the following:

Returns: You will have seven (7) days to return your computer system after this document is signed; all returns will be subject to a forty percent (40%) restocking fee. All software on your computer is non-refundable including but not limited to the operating system, CD/DVD burning software, and virus removal tools. You will receive NO credit and/or money return for any software.

YOU CAN NOT RETURN ANY SYSTEM THAT IS DAMAGED IN ANY WAY, YOU MAY ONLY RETURN THE COMPUTER UNDAMAGED, AND A RETURN WILL ONLY BE GRANTED IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE COMPUTER NOT BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS ADDRESSED IN THE WARRANTY BELOW.

Warranty: Michael H******** (here after referred to as "Mike") will provide you (the original buyer of the computer here after referred to as "you") with a one (1) year limited warranty starting from the time you sign this document. Mike will service any problem found with the computers hardware, and operating system, Mike will not service any problem with other software, including any other pre-installed software. If any part or parts of the computer are found to be defective (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Hard drive, Sound card, CD/DVD drive) the parts will be replaced using the manufactures warranty during the one (1) year period, if parts are found to be defective after the one (1) year warranty you must contact the manufacture and request service or replacement. Mike is not responsible for any hard drive or hard drive crashes or hard drive failure resulting in data loss or corruption, and suggests making backups of the hard drive and pictures, documents and other important files regularly.

THE WARRANTY WILL BECOME VIOD IF AT ANY TIME EITHER OF THE SIDE PANNELS OF THE CASE ARE REMOVED, IF ANY ONE OTHER THEN Mike SERVICES THE COMPUTER, AND/OR IF THE COMPUTER IS DROPPED, HIT, KICKED, PUNCHED, PUT IN A ROOM FOR ANY GIVEN TIME WITH A TEMPERATURE AT OR ABOVE 40 DEGREES CLECUS, IF ANY FANS ARE REMOVED OR STOPPED, IS EXPOSED TO ANY SPILL OF ANY LIQUID OR GASS, OR/AND IS TAKEN APART IN ANY WAY, CONNECTED TO A POWER OUTLET WITHOUT A SURGE PROTECTOR, AND/OR TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER PERSON.

The warranty does not cover the following: power surges, drops, kicks, hits, punches to the computer, accidental damage caused by "acts of nature" and/or so called "acts of god" including but not limited to tornadoes, floods, earth quakes, mud slides, earth slides, fires, falls, or any other type of accidental damage cause by a person, animal, or any living/non-living thing other then the computer parts themselves (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Hard drive, Sound card, CD/DVD drive), the warranty also will not cover any damages caused to the computer by overheating, including but not limited to if the overheating is caused by a fault fan(s) or heatsink(s). If you choose for Mike to use a CPU fan and heatsink that is not provided with the processor on the computer the warranty will be voided on the CPU from the moment the heatsink and/or is placed overtop of the CPU. If you choose to use thermal past, other then that provided with the CPU heatsink and/or fan your warranty will also become void.

After the one (1) year warranty all service will be charged for, and any damages to the parts of the computer will be handled by the manufacture of that part, if the part is still under warranty by the manufacture.

This warranty does not include upgrades, any upgrades during the one (1) year period must be done by Mike or the warranty will become void.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY COMPUTER VIRUSES, COMPUTER WORMS, COMPUTER TROJANS, SPYWARE, ADWARE OR ANY SOFTWARE OR FILES MOVED TO THE HARD DRIVE AFTER THE COMPTUER IS PICKED UP OR DELIVED TO YOU.

BY SIGNING BELOW YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE WARRANTY AND RETURNS INFORMATION ON BOTH TWO (2) PAGES OF THIS DOCUMENT. YOU AGGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED WITHIN IT AND WILL OBIDE BY THEM. IF YOU AGREE TO THIS WARRENTY AND RETURN POLICY YOU MUST SIGN BELOW TO RECEIVE THE WARENTY AND RETURN OPTIONS.

Name ……………………………………………………………. Date: ____/_____/_______

Signature …………………………………………………………… day/month/Year

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Looks good mike.... I aint no lawyer, but it looks good. I really like this:

Also the celsius isnt spelt correctly in paragraph 7.

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

thanks man, I like that part to. I think I did a good job only spelling one thing wrong!

being an Atheist (no offence to any religious people) i find it hard to put "acts of god" in my warranty I saw it on a staples warranty for my laptop so i thought I should add it. I find it weird that "acts of nature" was not on there as it seems to be a much more friendy and (in my opinion) correct way of saying it. By saying acts of nature it does not imply that there is or is not a god/gods

what do you thing about charging $150 for building a system, installing windows, 1yr warranty, and moving old files?

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Only 150? Or is that a mistake? I think it's pretty damn cheap if you ask me. I would charge 1500 USD for all that. (also depends on system specs)

Btw, you're up pretty late, I think im going to bed now, so I'll get bakc to you tommarow.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He means 150 for labor. He will charge 150 for BUILDING the system(not parts), warranty, INSTALLING(not paying for) windows, and moving old files. I think 150 is a reasonable price.

6. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

40 percent for restocking fee thats a little too much,and
    could be changed, Every thing else seems ok

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I agree with thegrunt. Most retailers charge 10 percent, and people will like to upgrade. I know you arent a big retailer so will have to charge more, just not THAT much.

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

could i include a list of stores that would not void the warranty if they serviced it? like say Canada Computes, Staples, Future shop...

9. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Yeah that would make more sense then what you currently have

10. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

one year rtb warranty, if you are good at your job thats all you need
    supply every pc with a anti-surge power socket that ought to save the occasional fry up

you cannot supply a computer and then rely on the manufacturer to fix things that go wrong you have to replace and then have the item fixed or replaced on your own time

150 is very good we charge £50 for building and installing windows

also always check the pc is connected to an anti-surge supply before working on it or you will end up being blamed for things you never did and it always gives you the "out" 'oh you have no anti-surge protection thats a new motherboard I'm afraid'

we have a whole A4 page of terms and conditions but basically the customer has to use common sense

try this

1) name of company charge a fixed one-hour labour charge + VAT for all visits, subsequent time is charged half hourly + VAT. (Our current service charges are available at the time of booking).
    2) Full payment is required on completion of work, by debit card where possible. Personal cheques are taken only by agreement and must be supported by a valid guarantee card not exceeding the card limit...
    3) name of company will make a small charge to cover the costs for credit card transactions, currently @ 2%,
    4) It is the customers’ responsibility to provide licensed software and device drivers for all repairs. If you fail to provide proof of Ownership, we may be unable to complete a repair for you although our minimum charge will still apply. Licensed software is available from name of company (POA) and can be purchased subject to availability.
    5) name of company cannot be responsible for the performance and integrity of any third party software and/or services including Internet providers. The customer is responsible for recording the details of Internet accounts, passwords, dial up numbers, licence keys and any other relevant information.
    6) name of company do not carry out monitor or printer repairs
    7) name of company under no circumstances will be held responsible for any lost or corrupt data. Customers are responsible for their data and accept any risk of loss during or after an installation. Please note that only data specified on our invoice will be saved upon request from the customer, providing it is not corrupt.
    8) On-site testing only shows the condition of the components at the time of testing. Intermittent faults may need further examination off-site name of company will contact you by phone after the first hour of testing to discuss options.
    9) In signing our invoice, you agree that you have read and have understood our general terms of business’ and guarantee’. Your signature also confirms that you are satisfied with the work .carried out.
    10) If you cancel your order for a PC after it has been installed, name of company will levy a £75 administration charge to include collection from your home, inspection and re-packaging of the goods (please ensure that you keep the original boxes). Refunds can only be made upon receipt of goods and once they are fully checked.
    11) Upon request, name of company will dispose of any unwanted PC components free of charge. We regret however that once removed; items will be disposed of immediately and cannot be returned under any circumstances.
    12) A £20 charge will be levied to an unpaid bill if a cheque is ‘stopped’ or ‘bounced’. Application to the Courts for full debt recovery and judgement against you will follow adding a daily interest charge, based on 8% per annum. In all cases of dispute, we strongly urge you to follow clause ‘2’ of ‘Our Guarantee’ so mutual satisfaction can be reached.
    13) When purchasing a new PC, name of company will include one free labour hour to un-package, assemble and set-up your system,
    14) If the customer wishes to complete an installation without the engineer being present, (to stop work before complete due to
    Any reason to include time or cost) the customer does so at his/her own risk. name of company cannot be held responsible for any subsequent problems and any remedial work will be charged at the normal rate.
    15) name of company recommend specific software products to remove malware infections (any software programme developed for malicious use to include viruses, spyware and adware). It is the customer’s responsibility to protect their PC immediately after our visit and .continue to update software as/when required, failure to ensure total protection may result in subsequent re-infections and will not accept responsibility for any recurrences after a visit. (Please ask for our free information guide and current software prices).
    16) Engineers carry a good selection of general stock for purchase. If we are unable to supply a part to you for any reason during an appointment, we will collect payment in advance and return to install it as soon as possible. (A minimum charge of half an
    hour + VAT will be levied for labour upon re-visiting).
    17) For quality and training purposes Southern computer solutions record all telephone calls.

Our Guarantee

1) name of company will provide a one-year guarantee for parts and software media purchased from us, (please provide proof of purchase).
    2) The customer must report a problem or a complaint about a repair and/or an installation of new parts as soon as reasonably possible after a visit. This can be done by telephone to Phone number or by e-mail to name of company
    3) If the same problem remains after our visit, (excluding MALWARE re-infections, see clause 15 of our general terms of business) please report it to us by phone as soon as possible. An engineer will be instructed to re-visit you to establish the cause of your complaint. name of company does not operate a ‘No Fix No Fee’ policy and therefore labour is not guaranteed, each case however is considered on its own merit and if our workmanship is at fault, corrective work may be authorised and carried out ‘free of charge’. If the problem is beyond our control, a one-hour minimum fee will be charged for our visit, in addition to any other time required to correct the fault.
    4) If after a visit you wish to raise a complaint about our service, you must do so by putting your complaint in writing to: name of company
    5) Faulty components (purchased from name of company under guarantee and with proof of purchase) should be reported by phone. An engineer will visit you within 7 working days of your call to replace the part under guarantee. (A same day service is available at the current hourly rate). If after diagnosis, the engineer considers the part we supplied is not faulty, you will be
    charged a one-hour minimum fee + VAT for our visit. (Please read section 9 when problems relate to hard drives).
    6) Our guarantee does not cover damage to CD/DVD-Rom/Writer drawer mechanisms caused by the customer, damage to
    floppy drives/CD/DVD Rom drives by the insertion of foreign objects, or damage caused to printer and modem connection
    leads. We will only guarantee modem/ISDN/broadband/external devices if high voltage surge protectors have been used.
    7) Faulty software bought from name of company must be returned by post for examination, with proof of purchase, as soon as the fault is discovered. Replacements will be sent by return post. Please note that damage to disk surfaces will not be covered. Replacement software will be returned by post.
    8) name of company will only install the relevant device driver when replacing a component under guarantee, any additional work to install other third party software applications or utilities etc. will be charged at the normal rate.
    9) For replacement hard drives under guarantee, name of company will limit our free labour to include installation of the previous operating system and device drivers only, (excluding any external devices or peripherals). Any additional labour will be charged at the current standard rate.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks good Mike, all the best with your business!

12. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

thank you sam and pcrepair, you were both very help full