1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Building SPECS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by badgerboy, Dec 15, 2004.

1. badgerboy

badgerboy Member

I'm thinking about ordering the following from www.newegg.com and building my own PC:

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
    Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black,
    $64.00

Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1600BB, OEM Drive Only
    $88.00

Memory (System Memory)
    PQI POWER Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model MD441GUOE - Retail
    $158.75

Motherboards - Intel
    ASRock "P4S61" SiS661FX Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
    $45.50

Processors
    Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
    $189.00

Video Cards
    CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "SA5500T2" -RETAIL
    $82.50

Could anybody out there offer their opinion and let me know what else I would need to build this spec of machine?

Thanks in advance

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Looks great to me Badger. Albeit, I've never built a intel rig before, I'm sure it will come out fine.

The only things I can see that you're missing are a PSU, Case and a good Heatsync/fan combo.

I'd make sure that you get a good name brand PSU. Preferably Fortron, Antec, Tagan, Enermax, etc... Don't go off and buy one that's "generic" and expect it to put out the wattage it specifies.

As for the case, it's really just a matter of preference. I have a cheap black/siver case from newegg that really is a pos, but it gets the job done for me. Some more expensive cases give you extra functionability such as: screwless cases, increased cooling potential, and on chassis sensors, etc... Shop around newegg and just pick what fits you best.

I'm not really sure about cooling with the P4, as I said before, never built an intel rig. I overclock my chip so I decided to get a good quality heatsync (Thermalright SLK900A $40) and I grabbed a fan (Vantec Tornado) that cools great, but is a little loud on the ears (about 56db to be exact).

Also, I've never used nor heard of this PQI memory. Albeit I've only build 4 rigs in my lifetime. I'm sure there are more experienced people here that could assist you in greater detail than I would be able to.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

intel comes with own heatsink & fan. dimensions approx. 2.75x3.625x2.5in. when cpu is only 1.5in. square

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I also wanted to add that newegg is selling Mushkin PC 3200 in a dual 512MB pack for $135 on their home page.

As I said before, never used PQI before, but I have and at this moment, use the very same memory chip they're selling.

I do have to tell you that one of my sticks did go bad, but that's almost certainly due to my negligence. I tend to get angry when something isn't going my way and I'm sure I did something stupid like pull the memory out of the board with an active power connection to the mobo.

I've also pushed these chips pretty hard in overclocking and they held up pretty darn good. If you don't get angry, and do ignorant things like me, they should serve you well.

From my experience, they can hold right below their speed (198MHz fsb or so) without loosening the memory timings. At 200MHz they'd sometimes freeze and I'd get errors, but after I loosened the timings up a bit everything ran smooth as pie.

5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Oh ok, thanks ddp. I'm sure he'll be fine with his stock heatsync and fan combo then.