1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC CASE FANS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by j0nny, Jun 29, 2007.

1. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Hi,

I just wanted to know about adding fans to computer case.

I have quite a few 80mm fans that i have spare and thought can i stick 2 80mm fans together to increase airflow or will one fan cancel the other out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

What do you mean by putting the two fans togeather? Do you mean 1 in front of the other? I dont think that would do much except make the air flow a little farther in the case. Also make sure that it isnt real "busy" in the case. If you have a bunch of wires, try cable tying them and bringing them off to the side.

I would get a bigger fan, like a 120mm if your case supports it. They're some good turbine fans on xoxide.com

That's where I get all my stuff from.

3. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Hi,

Thankyou for replying.

I was thinking about putting 2 80mm fans on my cpu heatsink to cool it down more. If i put 2 of them fans on top of each other will it cool down the heatsink more or not?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  4. candycab

candycab Member

Im no expert bye any means but, I would think placing on fan against another would cause some turbulence since they wont be turning in unison with eachother turn for turn.

I would look at upgrading the cooler with a larger fan or even a better cooler alltogether or possibly piping in cooler air via a duct etc. CFM's dont meen much if its still blowing warm air.

A TMD (Tip-Magnetic Driving) fan would make for a nice improvement over a standard fan since they have a much smaller dead spot in the center of the airflow. I run a Vantec VP4-C7040 that uses one of these.

5. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Hi,

Cheers for that. i think i'll leave it as it is, with the standard intel fan. i tried the 2 80mm fans on the heatsink but got a 4°C increase in temperature so thats definately out of the question.

Thanks again

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok, I have a Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED CPU Cooler, for my intel P4, and it cools it down 5-10C, which is an imporvement over the stock intel fan. It is very quiet too and has LEDs inside so it lights up. My CPU right now is at 123F or 53C, so yours shouldnt be above that either.

If you're going to get a new cpu heat sink and fan, I would go with Zalman...

7. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Hi,

Yeah i hear good reviews about them zalman's but they are a tad expensive for me at the moment.

I've invested in getting some better thermal paste instead, arctic silver 5 is what ive gone for which i hear is the best. Hopefully it will help towards getting the temp down a few degrees. I hope to overclock aswell as anything over 3.5ghz isnt stable enough.

Thanks for all your helpful replies people.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well good luck with that then, and if you have any more problems, just post back.

9. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Hi,

I was awaiting some thermal paste to come in post yesterday but didnt come. I was desperate to get a file off the computer so i put the processor in the slot and turned it on, it turned itself off after a few seconds, i rebooted it and went to bios to check temperature it hit 110°C yes that much!! i put my finger on the cpu and it was very hot.

What i wanted to know is whether i have ruined the cpu, when it hits a certain temperature is there a risk it will not work again?

Thanks

10. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

It probably isn't ruined yet but keep trying you'll make it.

11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I would take the cpu heatsink off, and look on the cpu to see if there is any burn/scorch marks on the cover it. Also, see if you can smell any smoke in your case. If you see or smell any of these, then your screwed...