1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Crashes; Blue Screen of Death, Random Rebooting - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Keizer, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Keizer

Keizer Member

for the past few months, my pc has been crashing quite regularly. it will either go to the Blue Screen of Death or simply randomly reboot itself. it will also reboot and be unable to display the "active desktop" (no wallpaper anymore).

i've been advised by some to try MEMTEST. that program was no help. the first time i ran it, my pc simply froze. the second time i ran it, it did its thing for over 2 hours and never found a single error.

any suggestions?

i typically find that multitasking (launching browser, launching multiple windows in browser, video encoding, etc) will cause the problem. then again, sometimes it will simply reboot itself RIGHT after i boot it up.

any insight will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. NJman

NJman Member

If your Mem test froze, took 2 hours to complete the second time, and you BSOD when you multi-task, you might want to look into some new memory. The other possibility could be your mobo but i doubt it. mostly likely from the sounds of it your memory has gone bad and you should try replacing it to see what happens.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Keizer

Could you post what the B.S.O.D says in its entirety? I could tell you exactly what is wrong from that BSOD message.

4. Keizer

Keizer Member

it says something about a "physical dump" or something and to check any recently installed hardware or drivers. well, i haven't installed anything for about 4 months +. that was RAM, bumped it up to 2GB. i bought the right kind for my computer. but, i guess it's probably that. or at least that's what everyone else seems to think.

i thought maybe there'd be a program i could get that would tell me exactly what's going on. MEMTEST doesn't seem to be getting it.