1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc crashes during encoding with shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by killick, Dec 27, 2004.

1. killick

killick Member

I am using dvd decripter 3.5.1 and dvd shrink 3.1.7. About 10 minutes into the encoding with dvd shrink the pc crashes and gives me a message that it recovered from a serious failure. Sometimes it brings me to the desktop recovery screen after reboot. I also saw an error message for EXPLORER. Tried to debug with no sucess. Tried dvd shrink 3.2 with same problem. Tried new dvd drive, same problem. Disk defrag, same problem. Any ideas. Any help would be appreaited

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what are your processor/hd/ram specs? have you checked for viruses and spyware? have you done all the windows updates?

3. killick

killick Member

processor is an amd athlon xp2500 1.82 ghz. HD is 80 gig maxtor. OS is xp pro c/w sp-2. Updates about 3 weeks old. antivirus (norton) and antispyware (nuker) is current. The HD is partioned at 50/30. However I am not using the secondary partition. I will do windows updates again tonight. Painfull process on dial-up.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Make sure you shut down you antivirus and spyware programs before trying to do a dvd. Also how much RAM do you have. Bare minimum is 256k.

Jerry

5. killick

killick Member

512 of Ram. Ok will try another burn with no spyware or antivirus running

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi killlick, welcome to aD,

I think we can rule out a virus and hardware limitations as even the lowest of PC's (Pent III, 500 Mhz w/ 128MB of RAM) can encode a DVD.

Encoding and burning DVD's is the most labor-intensive work your processor will ever do, therefore we should look toward your PC's cooling capabilities. Check to make sure your fans are running unobstructed and there is no dust on your processors heat sink's (if any) or around the processor's base. Try and open up your PC's case and allow a fan to cool it down while you're encoding to see if that helps. Then we'll go from there –

Cheers,

Pete

7. killick

killick Member

Thanks pete I will ive that a try. As a follow though as previously suggested I disabled norton and my firewall nd I had sucess with 2 burns. I will burn a few more today to test. Also do you know where I can get the utility that tracks overheating processors?

8. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm thinking of a problem with the processor overheating as that's the most common problem BUT it could also be a heat sensitive component -

We hope it's something that can be addressed in house as opposed to a problem with the MB.

Good Luck,

Pete

10. killick

killick Member

Ok heres the latest guys. With the antivirus off it appears to work accept I always get an error message half way thru encoding which says there was a problem with windows explorer and asks if I want to debug. If I ignore it and cancel it the encoding continues succesfully.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm glad you solved it -

Cheers,

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its always good to read that the problem gets fixed.

Hi Pete--- Happy New Year.

Jerry