1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC doesn't turn on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Nipsu, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Nipsu

Nipsu Newbie

My four years old PC won't turn on. When pressing the power button there are very short lightbulb flashes in CPU and GPU, and sometimes the CPU-fan moves an inch. After that no signs of life. All the cables should be okay.

The problem occured after I had cleaned my PC with pressurised air, but it shouldn't have taken any damage during the procedure.

Should I just straight get a new power source or is there a possibility that the problem is elsewhere?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all hardware from the psu which means drives, motherboard & whatever. connect psu to wall plug & jumper the green & a black wires on the psu to see if the psu fan spins alright. post results.

3. Nipsu

Nipsu Newbie

It spins.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

should I get involved?.. step 2..

disconnect everything except speaker/buzzer (whatever.. the thing that makes beeps) and cpu from motherboard.. connect psu.. try again.. should be a load of beeping as it complains about no ram

obviously connect psu to board

5. Nipsu

Nipsu Newbie

Well no beeping but motherboard does give the signal light about ram not detected.

Aaand the cpu-fan works now.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

re-install ram then try power up.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Do as ddp suggested but with one small difference, remove all sticks and install RAM one stick at a time. The PC will boot with a single good stick but not with one good stick and one bad stick.

8. Nipsu

Nipsu Newbie

Okay so kept adding rest of the components one by one. Now all are plugged in and the pc is running normally. Where the problem was, don't know. Anyway thanks to all

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's probable that over time and use, a stick of RAM became unseated.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

This happened to a buddy of mine 2 years ago, in his cleaning haste, I found that he had jostled the CPU Fan header plug and one wire was not properly locked into the Molex plug and started pulling out. As I got him checking things, he must have pushed the wire back enough to make a good enough connection that the BIOS was able to recognize it again and booted up.
    When I went over a week later, I was just checking things again and found that bad wire lock in the plug. Pulled the wire, bent the pin lock out a bit so it caught again and all was well. Fun fun fun fixing these things eh...;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    YOBUZZB likes this.