1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVD drive on Xbox - "always open" status Fix Help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by rossoXVII, Mar 19, 2007.

1. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

Hello everyone.
    I'm having a small problem with my xbox.

The Xbox is softmoded with original hardrive and a normal ASUS DVD PC drive instead of the original DVD drive with an external open/close switch).
    I don't have the original dvd drive anymore, trew it away (way to go)... EvoX is installed and XBMC too.

The problem is, when I start the xbox with a backup game inserted on the DVD drive, it loads as normal and the game starts. But as soon as EVOX starts up or if I put a dvd with some DIVX on XBMC the drive status is considered as always open, and the xbox doesn't recognize the media DVD. All I am trying is to be able to play movie DVD's and DIV's in XBMC, I don't want to be able to play original games, I know that is not possible with my current dvd drive.

Putting it in other words in the current state the drives only loads backup games, and only if they are already in the tray when i turn on the xbox. Backups don't load from the EvoX Menu, or from the XBMC menu, no games, no music cd's or movie /data dvd's.

Is there something I can do to change the drive status to closed/normal? I think that would fix the problem... I still have the small yellow cable that was atached to the original DVD drive.

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

you have to have the orignal dvd drive...

3. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

Is that it? :(
    How does the console knows the tray of the original drive has been closed? Some command must be send by those yellow wires? Maybe there is some way to replicate this? Soldering some of them. What do you think?

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

i think without the dvd drive that came in it its not going to work, you have to have that, thats what tells the console if a game is in the drive and what not, thats why when you try to boot a backup from an extra dvd drive you have to have an orignal game in the orginal dvd drive...

5. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

Well the thing is, I can play game backups without the original drive :)
    But only game backups, and only if they are already in the drive before I power on the xbox... So there must be some way into fooling the xbox so it reads video/data dvd's. If it loads a game, it should load a normal dvd too...
    However as soon as I enter XBMC or EvoX dashboard, the drive stays in "Open" state all the time.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

you need the original dvd drive, trust me...

7. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

Guess what? I have done it :D No impossibles!
    I striped out the yellow cable that connects to the mainboard,I left the connector that plugs to the main board. Then I searched on the net and found a schematic. (I can send you the picture, I don't know how to post it here) You have 1 pin that to define "tray status" if the pin has 3.3 vdc power, it assumes the tray is open.
    If it has no power it assumes the tray is closed... I followed the schematic but it wasn't working with their pin layout, so i started messing around with other pins, one incinerated the small cable i was using (must have been the 12 volt pin) but then when I touched another pin, I saw the drive state change in Evox... Isolated those two wires
    and tomorrow will add a switch. So now all I have to do is enter media center or EvoX, press the pc cd rom button, put a dvd or cd inside. Close the lid. Touch the two cables and separate them again... and Voilá! The drive state detects the media almost imediatly. :) I think someone with better knowledge would post this information, maybe a tutorial. I can't play original games (I have a 360 for that anyway), but can play backups, see Divx's, music cd's (tried them too) and dvd's. You don't even have to solder anything. Please post this information, it will help out a lot of people I belive.
    My Xbox is the crystal version by the way, but it should work on others too.

All the best, if you need any more information I will be happy to share it.

8. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

this person is spot on and correct

even if you plus in your PC DVD you still need the power cable going to the original XBOX DVD..

9. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

No you don't. And really I don't care what people say because I have one sitting here wich is working.
    You do not need the Xbox drive connected in any way to play backups, at least I don't need it, and i doubt my xbox is special in any way. It doesn't even have a chip, it's softmoded.

10. evidee

evidee Member

hi everyone I have complete the pc-dvd drive mod and put my box into a pc case too , can you send some picture of your switch

rossoXVII i will like not have have to open /close my original xbox dvd drive to play movie and start backup in xmbc
    and evox , dvd2box ...

bye

11. warriorx

warriorx Member

rossoXVII (Newbie) 24. March 2007 @ 07:50
    No you don't. And really I don't care what people say because I have one sitting here wich is working.
    You do not need the Xbox drive connected in any way to play backups, at least I don't need it, and i doubt my xbox is special in any way. It doesn't even have a chip, it's softmoded.

Hey Rosso! I'm really interested in what you said you have accomplished, if this is something that can be accomplished with any box then this is deffinately interesting, its a whole new area worth checking out, if you could give more info on those specs you mentioned and more info. in general, that would be great. I've been wondering about this same issue concerning the dvd signals and you're the only one I've read of having to accomplish this. any info would be greatly appreciated.

12. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

As soon as possible I will post some pictures and a small video to show what happens. I can't say exacly how it works, but anyone with average understanding of the Xbox or electronics should be able to figure it out.

13. rossoXVII

rossoXVII Guest

14. warriorx

warriorx Member

rossoXVII (Newbie) 27. March 2007 @ 03:11
    Check this thread:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2112&page=4

It explains this better than me. Someone has already done it before.

Hey Rosso thanks for the link, man I've read up alot in the past concerning modding and I'm damn good at it but I've never was able to find this info, I knew about the specs for the plug and stuff but it didn't quite hit me that you can force the signals, and its so simple! my case was that I have three boxes and the dvd went out on one, didn;t want to bother buying a replacement dvd since I could just transfer any backup game to it but I needed the signals to be able to boot to dash period, and your info gave me the finishing info to make it happen, thanks a million bud. And 4 all yall that said it couldn't be done without the orig. drive....shame on ya! :)
    Thanks also to the team and all whom participated in giving info. at XBMC, way 2 go guys!