1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Error - Lose Permissions

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by migTMC, Jun 7, 2012.

1. migTMC

migTMC Member

Hello again guys. I have a problem with my PC, Windows XP Pro SP3. This issue has happened five times in the last three weeks and I've had to reinstall XP Pro each time.

Everything goes well after the reinstall of XP Pro and the update to SP3. I reinstall everything, drivers and programs, all goes well. Some time later, has happened as fast as a couple of hours later to a few days later, I get the following error message when I try to open a program, like firefox:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I lose all control of the PC in that I can't open any programs or files, be it video, music, text files, whatever. I can olny open folders.

How do I resolve this major problem?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you installing windows updates? full format or quick format? do a scandisk on the hard drive to check for errors. try another hard drive to see if still happens

3. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

check the permissions in hard drive properties,security edit to give you full control if it will let you.