1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc freezeup

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by noideame, Dec 22, 2011.

1. noideame

noideame Regular member

this has just started happening, when i switch pc on i sometimes get a screen freezeup, and takes up to 3 restarts, did a virus/spyware scan in safemode and that was ok, doesnt seem to be any overheating probs. im at a loss now, is it possible its my wireless adapter as i have just moved it from 1 usb to another.
    im running win7 on a homebuild pc. i have 2 dvd drives connected.

PS: forgot to add that when i hit restart button not the on/off switch i get message "windows failed to shut down properly how would you like to restart windows"
    now i thought you got that message on shutdown or reboot options.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

had the same problem on an xp computer.ended up having 6 blown caps on my video card.does it randomly freeze after it boots up or just on startup?

3. noideame

noideame Regular member

after boot and sometimes on startup. thought it was wireless adaptor but its not,and found that bios could be out of date.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

simple to check the caps on your card.look for convex tops {should be flat},or leaking.also look at the fan on the card for dust.mine was plugged right up.if you ever hear a loud popping sound coming from your comp look for a blown capacitor.cheers Al.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on the motherboard besides the videocard. also try another psu to see if problem gone or not.

6. noideame

noideame Regular member

hi again, before i got pc out again to try your suggestions, i did a system restore and so far everything ok for 2 days. so must of been a software error or win 7 update.
    but only thing ive installed lately was a new mouse and have done all the windows updates, so a bit baffling for me.
    so thanks for helping and if it occurs again will try out what you suggested and report back.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

well i guess some things defy explanation,or at least elude it.good you got it sorted out.