1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC FREEZING WHEN CONVERTING!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dupfold, Jun 19, 2005.

1. dupfold

dupfold Member

Hello

Seen I've been converting mpg to avi's again (for the last two weeks) my pc has been resetting itself or freezing. To cut a long story short I've narrowed it down to when I'm using any video converter prog to convert mpg to avi.

My cpu temp is fine, I have 2800+ AMD, 1GB corsair memory (memtested ok), dfi lanparty NFII Ultra B ((Nvidia nForce Ultra 400), Nvida geforce FX 5700LE (256mb) and creative Audigy 2.

Any ideas why this could be happening or how it can be resolved?

Please please please help, driving my crazy and its not doing my hd's any good with such hard resets.

2. DaisyLin

DaisyLin Member

Please make sure that your mpg file is perfect. And also, you'd better install a divx codec and Klite to have a try!
    By the way, have you ever tried with WinAVI Video Converter to do this job? If not, you can download one to have a try! I have used that program for a long time, and never experienced any problem!
    http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm

3. dupfold

dupfold Member

all codecs installed - codecs not the problem.

Nothing wrong with mpg file.

already got winavi, same problems.

All obvious things checked - has anyone else got any suggestions?

4. DaisyLin

DaisyLin Member

That is weird! Maybe you have to contact at support@winavi.com for some solutions!

5. dupfold

dupfold Member

no its nothing to do with winavi in particular, it happens using any converting prog.

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Your CPU runs 166FSB (333DDR).
    I'll bet your memory is running asynchronously at 400DDR.
    Check your memory timings in BIOS and ensure they are set to SPD.
    Then, set memory to run synchronously with your FSB at 333DDR (PC2700 speed). Try it at SPD first, then once you confirm stability, you can become more aggressive with the memory timings at the lower, synchronous memory speed.
    When encoding AVIs, try to read the VOBs from one HD and output the results to another HD, this is MUCH easier on the HDs and will reduce a whole lot of time, noise, heat and wear & tear...
    But anyway, try the memory trick (the extra memory bandwidth is redundant, because with memory operation in excess of the FSB speed the potential speed gains are negated by the extra latency involved in asynchronous operation).
    This trick has fixed many unstable dual-channel PCs (and actually speeded them up :^)
    I recommend GordianKnot with the XviD codec.
    Regards

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  7. dupfold

dupfold Member

hello The_OGS. Thx for your reply and I understand what you are saying by my CPU is the 3200+ version (not 2800+ as prev stated - soz), i.e FSB 400DDR, so there is no redundancy.

I'm sure this whole message is to do with my modem (speedtouch 330 USB) but I have the latest drivers.

I've now taken a note of the error message which reads.....

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Problem Seems to be cause by win32K.sys

Tech Info
    ***STOP 0X00000050
    (0XFF9F3380, 0X00000000, 0XBF814312, 0X00000000)

***Win32.sys - address BF814312 base at BF800000, DATESTAMP 422511A2

I've read the microsoft reference but its not much help as it cannot pin point the error as win32k.sys is a general system file.

I really don't know what to do - its happening now even when I'm not converting too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Page fault is a memory error.
    First check to ensure your RAM is running only SPD setting in BIOS.
    Then check your other settings in BIOS for any misconfiguration.
    I have suggested Wim's BIOS as an excellent resource for people:
    http://www.wimsbios.com
    Once your hardware is solid, you must troubleshoot your OS.
    Review your pagefile settings (ideally pagefile would be on different HD than OS).
    At this point (if all OK) your OS is infected with ?
    Run Spybot S&D, run AdAware, run TrojanHunter...
    You have an antivirus scan already, right?
    But if hardware and settings OK, you probably have gawd-knows-what running within your OS :^(
    (You and 99/100 others...)
    Check it out,
    L8R

9. gamename

gamename Regular member

i had a problem very similar to this. iworked on it for a few months. it turned out it was my mobo. i tried updating the bios first but that didnt help. so i took $50 to tigerdirect and all my problems were solved.

10. Damager

Damager Member

To The OGS

Ive had exactly the same problem as dupfold in that whatever program im using to encode avi's to mpeg, my pc freezes, sometimes it can freeze at 99% or at 5%. trhe codecs are fine.

like yourself i also run a 2500xp+ barton cpu on a ultra nforce2 400 gigabyte motherboard, but have in the bios increased the fsb to 200 (400 mhz fsb) also running 2 x 256 megs of ddr400 ram in dual channel. result is 2500xp+ running at 3200xp+

in the bios its on "by spd". but can you explain step by step how i follow your previous suggestion ---> [bold] Your CPU runs 166FSB (333DDR).
    I'll bet your memory is running asynchronously at 400DDR.
    Check your memory timings in BIOS and ensure they are set to SPD.
    Then, set memory to run synchronously with your FSB at 333DDR (PC2700 speed). Try it at SPD first, then once you confirm stability, you can become more aggressive with the memory timings at the lower, synchronous memory speed. But anyway, try the memory trick (the extra memory bandwidth is redundant, because with memory operation in excess of the FSB speed the potential speed gains are negated by the extra latency involved in asynchronous operation).
    This trick has fixed many unstable dual-channel PCs (and actually speeded them up :^) [/bold]

Please advise

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

If your CPU is running 166FSB (333DDR) like the majority of AthlonXP, you can do that.
    But if CPU is running 200FSB then PC3200 memory (400DDR) is synchronous @ 6:6 and there is nothing to do.
    The trick is in underclocking the memory to be synchronous, then 'leaning' on the memory timings (PC3200 @ PC2700-speed will support much more aggressive timings :^)
    Your overall performance will be similar, with stability usually greatly enhanced.
    Running 2500+ at 3200+ (200FSB) like you, I must run my memory full-speed with SPD settings only.
    I therefore require big-$$ memory that has fast settings in SPD!
    But most people have generic memory @ 400DDR, 166FSB and some dual-channel instability - the memory trick will help them.
    Regards

12. dupfold

dupfold Member

Still freezing - someone please help!

Cpu, graphics card, ram etc all running at stock speed so no problems there.

13. Damager

Damager Member

TO the OGS

these are my memory timings 2.5-3-3-8

2500xp running at 3200xp (fsb 200mhz (by spd) with 2 x 256 megs ddr pc3200 ram in dual channel mode and runs stable

do i change the 8 to 6?

14. dupfold

dupfold Member

Damager - please start your own thread with your own problem as I'm in dyer need of help myself here and my problem does not relate yours (i.e memory probs due to overclocking)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  15. Damager

Damager Member

heh apologies dude, but in fact the reason i am in this thread is because i have the same problem, i actualy believe your problem is a memory one also.

The OGS gave a solution to initially your problem which is fact my problem also. Im well entitled to appear in this thread as im contributing with regards to directly the same problem, however i will make this my last reply and like yourself i hope my problem re "pc freezing when converting" is resolved asap

Damager :)

16. dupfold

dupfold Member

the reason for your pc freezing is simple - your overclocking which can cause all sorts of problems - I am NOT overclocking and therefore any solution to your problem will have no effect on mine.

What is the point in me starting a thread if all it is going to do is allow other users to get there own non-simular problems solved and leave mine outstanding! But there is an easyway around this - START YOUR OWN!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  17. Damager

Damager Member

i probably should have pointed out that i have the same problem even when running at normal speed. At which point it can come down to a couple of other possible factors

bad ram modules
    lack of hard drive space

Cheers

Damager :)

18. dupfold

dupfold Member

drugs are bad mmmmk.

Ok, so, back to the POINT (my point, not Damager) in questions - can anyone help please. I have not overclocked, no bad ram modules and have plenty of h/d space (over 500GB)

19. mickcon

mickcon Member

I had the sme problem with my commy freezing, when using winavi and dvdsanta. I've got fans everywhere - hard drives, main box and put a fan on the chip of my graphics card. Still had same problem.

Took the side of, directed an electric fan onto all components and that did the job, which tells me that either the CPU is overheating or one of the cards in my computer is overheating. Hope this helps.

Mickcon

20. dupfold

dupfold Member

yeah I've been thinking that it has something to do with the temps but I've been watching them and all seems to be fine so I still can't understand it. My CPU temp rises to just over 50 with full load but I've been told this is ok?