1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC games on MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by sturgee, Aug 19, 2007.

1. sturgee

sturgee Regular member

Is there any way at all that i can play PC games made for Windows XP on my Mac?
    i am currently running mac OS X 10.4.10.
    Thank you

2. tokaido

tokaido Guest

yes if you have an intel mac.
    then you have to download virtual pc from the microsoft site or boot camp and buy the full windows software then you can run windows in partitions and play your games.

3. sturgee

sturgee Regular member

thank you for your reply. i have a brand new macbook- with an intel base. could you expain simply how to do it (i am a beginner!)
    what exact software do i need to put on my mac?
    i just want to run pc games that i have

4. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

i would use bootcamp or find the mac version if there is one. Bootcamp is easy to install just download it and follow the on screen instructions. Its a free download from apple.com

5. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

you can also use parallels or virtualbox but you need a lot of ram

6. sturgee

sturgee Regular member

thanks for that, has anybody used 'bootcamp'? i want to know how succesful it is before i put it on my mac as applecare does not support it.
    apparently Leopard has bootcamp already on it, is it worth waiting for that, and do you think i will get a free upgrade from my os x 10.4.10? i have only had my mac for a couple of months. (should have waited til october!)

7. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

with bootcamp it should be pretty good because almost all the mac components these days are the exact same as pc components

8. tokaido

tokaido Guest

the only bad thing I've heard about boot camp is that it is just a little buggy.. No idea why but thats what i've been told

9. djrazor

djrazor Regular member

I would disagree to bootcamp being buggy, I have xp service pack 2 installed and play Command and Conquer 3 on it all the time, no slow downs or anything.

using bootcamp basically lets you format your hard drive and then install Windows on it, it also lets you burn a driver CD or DVD so you can use the Mac Hardware to it's full potential.

check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ and download the latest version, which at this time is 1.4 beta

oh and fyi, Leopard (the next version of OS X) will have boot camp built-in.

p.s: If you plan on using Vista you can't use VM Ware or Paralells Desktop due to the Licensing agreement, only Boot Camp is legally allowed to install Vista on a Mac

10. Londor

Londor Guest

Not true. You can legally use Vista with VMWare and Parallels because both let you use your existing BootCamp partition as a virtual machine.

Anyway who gives a edited by ddp about the EULA. If I buy a program I will use it wherever I want and not where Microsoft says I should.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Londor, post edited due to language.

12. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

i have had no problems with boot camp. I would stay with XP home or pro SP2