1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc gets stuck at HP blue startup screen when external usb connected.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by goyankees, Mar 24, 2012.

1. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

I have a hp 1120 elite and it gets stuck when i have an external hard drive connected. I updated to latest bios, nothing. I disables all usb device from boot order in bios, nothing. The startup screen just hangs for about 2 minutes and then eventually kicks in. Anyone know how i can solve this? Its really a pain. Thanks guys!

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Will the computer boot up normally if the external hardrive is disconnected.Try pluging it in after the computer has already booted up and see what happens.Maybe it is trying to boot from the external hardrive.

3. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

If its disconnected it boots fine. I went to bios and disabled all usb devices in the boot order; burners, floppys , hard drives etc and it still hangs on the startup screen when its connected. This only happens when an external burner is connected. So annoying cuz this pc is new.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I usually never have anything plugged in other than my mouse,keyboard and printer.The printer is always tuned off so that isn't a problem.I don't plug anything in until after my pc has booted up already since it seems to cause problems.This is just what I have experienced with my computers anyways.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

changing bios settings as you've found out doesn't work simply because it's inactive once windows boots.There's always a delay before login software etc has to load then antivirus will no doubt scan startup progs etc,etc,you'll have to leave drive off till booted if time is of the essence

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

some computers have that problem whereas others don't so leave that drive disconnected til windows finish loading.

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Yep I found that out the hard way working on different computers. Not all of them are the same.

8. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

This hp is new to me and my dell, which i had for the last 10 years, never gave me this problem. That's why it is so bizzare for me but i guess i'll just have to leave the externals connected to a hub and connect the hub when its extreme burning time. Thanks guys!

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.