PC hardware sales and good deals (RETAIL or ONLINE sales NOT personal sales) ....

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by greensman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ace...
    Of course it never was over here...

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, I remember that discussion about the SLI thing.

Anyway, this is good news for people wanting 4870CF vs GTX 260 SLI. They save about 80 bucks with the new prices.

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup, and if you live in Florida, buy from Global! Tigedirect charges Tax for Florida buyers.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good thing that Christmas isn't here already, I'd have to buy a new monitor. ;)

ViewSonic Q241WB 24"
    $299.99 delivered

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's nice, especially for that cost. I doubt you'd find that for 300 pounds over here.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

So the fellas in the states don't feel left out. ;) Here's a few offers that are a good deal and 2 of them come with GRID as well. :)

linky to 4850

...gm

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i see same price??

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's all in the delivery charges. Yes, you get 'next day' delivery from OcUK, but given ebuyer occasionally send out free delivery items early I'd say it has pretty much the same chance to arrive on a given date.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

whats the price of ebuyer next day?

£9.99 IICR

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but if you use ebuyer's next day delivery, it will actually arrive next day. With overclockers, who knows when it will arrive.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

next day, for me has been next day :) (yey for me)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've obviously got lucky. 2 out of 6 isn't a good track record, not compared to ebuyer's 16 out of 17 anyway, or Aria's 12 out of 12. (Bear in mind ebuyer's delay was one day, the four overclockers delays have been one day, two days, seven days and thirty five days)

When I order components, I want them when I ask for, not when the company gets around to it, what if you were building PCs on demand to a deadline? With OcUK, whether the stuff arrives or not is based on luck (since their website stock is only updated daily, if you order it when it's gone out of stock same day, tough luck, you won't find out until two days later when you realise they haven't shipped it and call them, they certainly won't tell you).

I don't generally 'get lucky' so I eliminate the luck and use one of the UK's many trustworthy vendors, Aria, ebuyer, Scan, Specialtech, Misco and KustomPCs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

so over 30 is luck?

thats new to me

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're an active member of the OcUk forum right?, and presumably also an official advertiser as I've yet to see you post a link from outside that store in the UK in the entire time since you registered.
    There's a link, it was well proven a year or two back when OcUK first started becoming problematic.
    There was a time when we asked if we could have stuff delivered via school so we knew it would turn up - OcUK are very understaffed since they expanded (only two support staff, and how many orders do you think they take a day?) so they only cater for the orders that matter - those with piles of orders listed, and those who will make a big fuss if they get treated badly. All the others are in the back of the pile until later - they forgot to send me my Antec 900 for an entire week.
    "Oh, the citylink driver must not have collected it" - for five days in a row? Sounds more like he wasn't given it in the first place.

Ultimately though, the 6 week long order from my mate Nick was the nail in the coffin. Citylink did all they could do really with a late order and the wrong address...
    Since all the stuff was smashed when it arrived due to having been in a van a dozen times, it was three months before he got everything he bought.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes im an acitve member, and haha official advertiser, maybe i should get money.

why not advertise something that hasnt gotten wrong?

you self do it, its human nature.

i do it, you do it, russ does it, so does mort, its the way of life :)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, but as I say, you get preferential treatment as you're well known. The forums are scouted for complaints about the site, which are promptly removed and the user accounts deleted. I trawled through kelkoo/pricegrabber a while back and found several accounts of this.
    Companies like Ebuyer may charge a couple of quid extra, but will do as you ask without you practically working for them as they have the power to do so.
    Given this, advocating OcUK on your own experience is impartial. Solely advocating it though, is just unkind.

Periodically I think 'why not give them another chance'? But why should I, I pay the money for next day service, if it doesn't turn up, it's more money wasted. It's interesting that OcUK use a lower priority service with Citylink than others. I've had about 7 or 8 orders with citylink since being in my student house, and without fail, all bar one (the ones not from OcUK) have arrived between 12:45 and 2:45p.m. The overclockers one? 8:30p.m. Great.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but then your are mainly going on your experiances aswell, and no i do not get special treatment, as they do not know my account on the shop. i do not use the same email.

yes i am friends with the employees of the shop, but i do not get extra treatment.

thousands of people do not get any problems, but when you do, you complain alot, it happens. overclocker3d started it off by having some bad problems with the old management, and swoosh, anyone who had probelms, and people who didnt, decided to post their problems. its like the vista effect. bad press made people hate it, even when they didnt use it.