1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc - HDTV

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Evra, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Evra

Evra Member

Hello I have recently been trying to connect my computer to my HD TV to no success. My Graphics card is currently a Radeon x300. I am trying to connect to a Polaroid HDTV. This tv supports VGA and s video connections. Any suggestions as to what cable i will need and how i should configure my computers settings to allow me to use my hdtv as a monitor would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

2. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

If your TV accepts an HDMI input, then the most likely direct connection may be with a video card that supports DVI output, (I am not familiar with your Radeon card). There are DVI to HDMI converters that are not expensive because it is a digital to digital conversion. There are also some options for VGA to RGB "component" type connections, which are analog connections but are still nearly as good as the digital ones. It all depends on your card's outputs and the TV's inputs. Either of these options will only work for the video stream, you will have to route the sound separately. But that should not be a problem as long as you have a sound card connected to speakers. Forget about S-video or composite video, as they won't handle the HD content.

3. Evra

Evra Member

Thanks for that my tv does support HDMI, my video card is VGA i shall look around for some converters.

Thanks!

4. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Well Evra, VGA to HDMI conversion is not easy or inexpensive to achieve. If your video card does not have DVI outputs, then you should look for a VGA to compoment cable solution. You may find the answer all in one cable, or in the form of a VGA to component adapter. Good luck!