1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc is crashing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by matty8887, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Could it be a faulty mouse/keyboard or port? If its PS2 then you should definitely check that asap because on some of the older boards and to an extent, the newer boards, constant in-out of the ps2 sockets can fry a board :)

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

yes i had also thought it could be that but why would it only do it on 2200mhz and not on 1800mhz. and evry few hours. everything looks ok and i have just put the cpu speed back to 2200mhz and the voltage has also gone back up to 13.056v. but when i rang the man up at the shop he said anything under 13.5v is stable.

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

This time i was installing office xp and it crashed again!!!!!!! this time it totally stopped installing and did crash. i just dont know what is wrong. If i take it back and they dont find a fault i have to pay £25. Does anyone no what is wrong.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Matty your problem could be BIOS related, as simple as a setting adjustment. Your rig requires PC3200 memory (minimum!) to run 6:6 ratio with the 200 (400DDR) Barton. If your memory is good, and set conservatively or to SPD in BIOS, then you can try to load Setup Defaults in your new BIOS or get some conservative settings in place, that you know are sound. Whenever you update a BIOS you need to go through it setting by setting. Wim's BIOS is an excellent resource, lemme see here...
    http://www.wimsbios.com/
    A PC that locks-up BITES and will give you grey hair. I just feel you have a hardware / setup issue, not OS problem.
    Do you have good, sound drivers incl. Via 4 in 1, XP servicepack etc. in place?
    Best of luck with this, don't worry we'll help figure it out.
    Regards

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

hi the_ogs i have pc 3200 memory so that is ok. I reverted back to my old bios but still no look. I dont understand how to set memory to conservative or spd. how do i do it? All my sound drivers are good but it wont let me download service pack 1 because of a product key mismatch, this could be because i installed service pack 1 on my other pc and i used the same xp disc and keycode for this 1 so they think it is a copy. I hope you can help me or i am taking ti back next week to see what they can do.
    BTW my pc runs ok at 1800mhz so i wouldnt have thought it be a hardware problem. thanx

6. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

im starting to think it is a heat problem. In pc probe(software for asus mobo to tell temp) it says the temp for the cpu is 50c because this software trys to reduce it by 10c. In the bios it says it is 60-62c but when i was playing call of duty it crashed and went up to 67c. I have 1 big heatsink fan, the fan on the psu blowing down not out the back and 1 other fan blowing out at the back, i have no more space for any others. could it be a heat problem? The man in the shop said that the cpu is probably faulty, my mate has exactly the same pc as me and his pc is ok even when playing cod.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

CPU probably OK, just hot. Most dual-fan power supplies both blow out the back (inner fan blows into PS) because if each fan blowing against the other, then no airflow.
    If will run at 1800MHz but not 2200MHz then yes hardware prob because specified to run 2200MHz.
    Not talking about sound drivers: want to make sure your setup drivers (Via 4 in 1, Servicepak etc.) are sound ie. OK.
    Stick with newest BIOS release, setup properly. Memory timings are under Advanced Chipset Features.
    You just have to make sure the foundation is sound before you even install your OS.
    60C+ is high, 65C-67C gettin' scary, too hot. You WILL have exactly these probs if overheating. XP3200+ as much heat as 75-80 watt lightbulb!
    Maybe inexpensive CPU cooler with goofy OEM compound at mating surface - better clean up & rebuild that with some Arctic Silver. (Dropped my temp from 62C to 52C under stress.)
    Run your rig with the cover off. Grab a room fan and blow it into your rig, whatever it takes to diagnose problem, whether heat or ?
    Diagnosis is 90% cure...
    L8R

8. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I dont think heat is the problem because i just opened my case up put a huge ass fan blowing into the case and my temp has come down to 53c from 67c but i was playing call of duty and after 2 minutes it crashed again, i quickly restarted and the temp was 53c so i dont think that an issue now. I think the man might be right about a bust cpu. I will let him put another 1 in on sunday and see how it goes and ill let you all know. Cheers for all the help guys.
    p.s is the heatsink fan suppose to blow air away from the cpu or bring air into the cpu cause mine is bringing it into the cpu.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Xbox v1.0 with X-ecuter2 lite,EVO-X DASHBOARD,40Gb HDD,
    ps2 with magic 3.1
    3200+ AMD ATHLON XP BARTON wItH wInDoWs XP, asus A7V600-X MOTHERBOARD, 120GB HDD,256dDDR memory, pioneer 106D dvd writer, ASUS 16x DVD Drive, radeon 9200se gfx card,6 usb 2.0 por[/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  9. Praetor

I did tell you that hehe :p

When you are trying to isolate a problem (especially after formatting), its probably not the best idea to run off an install games. Testing and breakin utils will probably pinpoint the problem sooner

10. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I got my pc back 2day and they replaced the processor. i dont think they even tested it but it still crashes. Do you think the memory is too blame or the mobo. They said they would build me a new system anyway. The temp came down and the voltage has come down with this new cpu but still crashes. I put a pci slot fan in their today and it reduces temp by 10 degrees!!!!! only cost £4 aswell.

11. Praetor

Well i'd wait until that comes through :)

1. Try doing a full extended memory test
    2. Does it crash at random or during activity? :)

12. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

its normally when im doing something. It doesnt seem to crash when it is just idle thats why they thought it was cpu. I will just leave it and get the new one they getting me.