1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc lock up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nate2005, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok i put all those drivers onto the pc well atleast the ones she needed like she doesnt use lightscribe so that type of thing. I fixed the one issue with the one driver but the ethernet driver is still missing?? it wasnt on that page either. So i still need some help with that please

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

k i tried that link it didnt work still no ethernet driver. also the usb slots and the card reader and all that stuff is also not working... i have been burning all this stuff to cds so if all possible if someone can send me some info on that it would be great cuz i only have 2 more cd's lol

4. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok i got the internet to work out on her pc so now all i need is the usb slots and the card reader to work

5. ddp

usb should be working unless they use a driver that windows don't have. what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard?

6. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

model number for motherboard is ASUS A8AE-LE
    and the model of pc is hp pavilion A1250N

7. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yeah when i plug a usb into the slot it says unknow device and than i go into device manager there is no errors however under the usb list on there it says unknown device i go to check the status and says it has no drivers installed for it

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Those drivers should be provided by Windows, try and do a Windows update. Earlier versions of Vista had a lot of driver hassles that should be fixed once you update Vista.

9. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yeah i did all the updates that was available and the usb or card reader still doesnt work.

10. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

i really need some help on this usb issue please, it appears if there isnt any drivers installed for the device... where could i possibly find them?? I look on the mobo manufactur website but they dont have that board on the selection.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate

Go into divice manager, right click on the USB drives and unintally them. That's right choose uninstall. In fact uninstall anything else that doesn't seem to work at the same time. Be certain not to choose reboot until you've done most of it. Then when you've chosen uninstall then reboot and see what happens. Don't worry no harm will be dones.

12. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok i did that and still doesnt work. When i plug in a usb device it says the usb device has malfunctioned and than it installs as unknown device. there is no yellow exlamation point in device manager either

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nate

Is this a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista?

This is an issue with Windows Vista. I don't know if there is currently a fix for it since I don't have access to your stuff, but I would recommend that you surf a bit and see if there is a fix.

14. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

its 32bit version of vista and it vista ultimate. I have surfed around for a while anything i do find it doesnt work. my mom isnt too thrilled about it either considerin her printer uses the usb slot. When you go into my computer where it shows your hard drive and what not under the devices under the hard drive it only shows the dvd drive. So i assume that is why the usb slots arnt working. Usually it shows all the usb drives under that but it shows none of them nor my sd card slot

15. ddp

are all the usb ports having this problem? is the printer connected to the front or back of the pc? when no usb device connected to the pc, what does it show in the usb section in device manager? have you cleared the cmos to see what that does tho that should not be affected?

16. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yes all the usb ports are having this problem, the printer is plugged into the back of the pc. When I dont have any usb devices plugged in this is what it looks like. [​IMG]

17. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

no i havent cleared the cmos i dont belive so atleast. Im not too sure how to even do that?

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When you first post and you see letter on your screen you will be given information as to which button to hit to go into setup. It might say hit delete, or F10 to enter setup. Once you've done that then look at the menu choices in the right towards the bottom. There should be one that says something to the effect of "restore default settings." Chose it, hit F10, and let the system reboot.

19. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok i cleared the cmos that didnt do anything for it either.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nate

Then coast through the bios and look for lines of info that point to USB and see if they're turned on or off. If you find one then hit F10 and save. The only thing I can think of that is left is if you update your systems bios. Go back to the same site that I left you links to and look for a bios update.

If none of that works then I will have to be there to help you provided Vista can be made to work with your system.