1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc lock up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nate2005, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok tried that actually already did update the bios, could it be possibly the bios update got messed up?? i tried the other thing searching in the bios and still nothing.

2. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

I know the pc is able to have vista running on it because I had it on that pc for almost 6 months without any problems. So i know that its able to run it just fine.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

In my view the problem is Windows Vista being incompatible with your hardware, but that's just a guess. When everything is working but one or two points then what's left?

4. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yeah thats what it seems, I just dont understand how i was able to have vista on their before without any problems. thats the only thing that has me stumped. Is there any way i can like go into regristry or anything like that to possibly try sumthen along those lines??

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

According to the screenshot that you posted there is no issue with the USB. They are all shown as working. There would be an error image at the left of each listed item that is not working.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

right it would have a yellow mark on it if it had an error. So why isnt the usb working correctly than if it shows no errors?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are a couple of things that might cause that but I think that we covered them.

1. If you are using a case port and it is not connected to the motherboard inside.

2. USB is disabled in bios.♠

8. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

well i checked the bios but never checked if it was connected to the motherboard. I dont see how it could have got unplugged though and the card reader aswell. It was working fine up till it got the virus on the pc. So i doubt that is it

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate2005

They were just thoughts. It gets increasingly difficult to analyze your issue when I only use Vista on my Laptop. So I'm trying to strip away any questions that I can. When you go into device manger and right click and hit properties on your USB drive, does it give the message that everything is working properly?

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check the Mem card reader board for any ID: numbers,it more than likley is not from the mobo people but is instead a 3rd party,it may even be necessary to contact hp to find out who makes em,coz i can't find card reader drivers mentioned anywhere for the model comp,then again if they're not going to be used just unplug from the mobo,if it was going to be used for USB device connection you can get extention cables that have female & male ends,yeah not the best way.
    I'd also advise as it's already been mentioned to seriously consider cloning

Free clone software
    xxclone

or bought
    ghost
    acronis

For any help on cloning the guys at radafied can help
    http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Ghost & Acronis can also create images that you can plonk on DVD's it'll save the cost of buying another hdd.Put another way your creating a set of real recovery disks that when installed will be an exact mirror of the system before it all borked,make sure you make two copies,no not a copy of a finished imaged DVD,start another job,i don't trust verification

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Glad to see someone else pitching in. Unless there are proprietary drivers that generally come with the devices, windows Vista usually supplies all needed drivers. He originally had Windows XP installed on the PC which came with HP's usual restore disc, and if there were any undiscovered drivers then perhaps they were included on the disc. He has decided to upgrade the PC to Vista and since then he has been experiencing difficulties with his USB and card reader. A screen shot that he's provided shows that the USB drivers are in fact installed but yet he doesn't seem able to get them to work with USB items.

12. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

Under the usb root hub all of those says it is properly installed and working. For the unknown device though it says there is no drivers installed for that device. Yea I do understand that this is a difficult problem to analyze especially not being infront of the pc yourself. It has got me stumped aswell due to it seems like all is correctly working. Yet at the same time no usb slots work? I cant call hp due to they wont even help me Because I guess once you take an os off and put a different one on than it came shipped with it voids all warranty's so they wont help unless you give them money. I went through that before with my current pc I have. well the memory card reader would infact be used, so I am trying to actually get that up and running aswell.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate2005

I learn more from threads like this one than countless others where the answers were easy, and the inexperienced tends to avoid these threads.:D

There is something that were missing that's going to make us all feel stupid. If your system says that thing are working fine then perhaps we are looking for a Windows setting that is causing this. Vista has a lot of protection measures and the question is are one of them causing this?

14. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

exactly I always learn from the threads like this and its quite intrestesting aswell. when i right click on the unknown device up at the top that device says its unviersal serial bus controller that is the device type. Under manufactor it says standard usb host controller. So my guess is that is the one that controls my usb slots if im not mistaking. Since there is no drivers installed for it im guessing this would explain why there not working. Im not sure if it is a security feature on vista's part or what. All i know is this is something pretty complicated lol. the unknown device though doesnt say that it is properly working so that could be causing an issue there.

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I missed the screeny.

No i don't believe it's a security issue doing a search for USB not working with vista brings up this very issue tho it was a printer,under normal circumstances the card readers will appear as extra hard drives & they will also appear in notification area of taskbar as tho you'd just attached a external device,perhaps if this goes onto long it might be better to take it to a shop as a last resort.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate2005

Try Windows update again but choose to do things manually Windows update will only recommend critical updates but overlook everything else. A USB driver could easily get overlooked under such a situation.

17. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

what do u mean try it manually? Do u mean hit available updates and search that way??

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It would pay to use the custom button as it will list all non critical updates as well,i only mention custom coz in xp the hardware drivers appear as optional & need to be manually selected

PS: If you find the drivers are there take a note of the number KB...
    if there's not a number click on more informaton & keep clicking any links to get the number

19. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

right i understand the whole custom thing but there isnt no custom button on vista upgrades is there? If there is i didnt know of any. I just pulled it up with availble updates and it shows all optional updates

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nate2005

It's as scorp stated do your update but choose custom.