1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Networked Vs Viper Modchip

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by DaiBach, Feb 11, 2005.

1. DaiBach

DaiBach Member

Can someone tell me which they think is the easier method?

It seems to me the Networked option would be easier and less costly.

I'll be d/ling iso's off the internet.

D

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Get the Viper Modchip dude. It's way less stress because with streaming you have to load PSO, stream the game from your computer and a whole bunch of crap. With the modchip, you can play your games on discs.

3. DaiBach

DaiBach Member

Can you boot backups without disc swapping yet??

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Actually you will still need to network no matter what way you go PSO with BBA or ViperGC with BBA to make your backups.I would suggest the ViperGC over the PSO method since it can boot backups on discs and doesn't have glitchy noises or movies freezes.The streaming game method is not updated as much anymore also where the ViperGC modchip has updates frequently.I hope this helps you out on which one to get,but make sure you get a Broad Band Adapter or you will not be able to backup any of your originals.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Uh, Clone CD eliminates the need for streaming ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

C'Mon man if CloneCD can read an original GameCube disc everyone on here would be using that program.It would be the top priority program for making a GC image.I don't believe CloneCD works for me since I have attempted and have had no success with it,but I can prove that BBA with PSO or BBA with ViperGC works.The only thing I can say CloneCD can do for me is burn the already made images that is pretty much it.DaiBach if you go with the ViperGC you will need an original game to boot your backup.If you are right on this Quadratic,don't believe it myself,then you are saying that CloneCD can read the GC as an external drive rather than plugging the game inside of your PC?Let me know how the steps are if it is true or not,because CloneCD is a good program in all.It has had alot of success with copy protected discs,but GameCube games have protection on them like Xbox games have.The code on the disc has to be bypassed before even reading it.I am very positive that Nintendo is alot harder than Microsoft is on copy protection.

7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The thing is that Microsoft has better security measures than Nintendo. Microsoft has implented a dual layer or something like that so that if you put an xbox game in your pc, and use ANY program, it will read a 13.6 MB file telling you to put the game in your xbox.

However, with Nintendo, it's just that the structure of the disc is reversed.

I was just as skeptical as you man, but I'm telling you, this has got to be the files.

Before I backed up the game with CloneCD, I opened Alcohol 120, and saw this:

[​IMG]

So then I proceeded to use CloneCD. After 3 1/2 hours, I looked in my folder and saw this:

[​IMG]

As for the steps. You gotta let CloneCD close the disc drive that the game is in for it to work (at least that's what I've read). It'll do it once you select the drive. Once that happens, then it'll say "DVD." Select it, and just have some patience. It should finish within a 24 hour time period.

CloneCD doesn't read it easily, and it will report "failed to read sector xxxx" in the log, but yet the percentage rises like every three minutes or something like that (for mine's it did).

I don't know if it will work for everyone else. I just know that it worked for me :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  8. Artlover

Artlover Member

What DVD drive do you have? Because I have 5 DVD drives, 1 rom {no-name} and 4 burners (NEC 3500A, Lite-On LDW451, Toshiba SD1502, Optorite DD0203). None of them can detect the GC disk at all.

Every app says no disc is inserted. Alcohol 120, CloneCD, DVDInfo, IsoBuster, etc..

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I have two dvd drives. The one I used was the Philips 8421 DVD+RW DL.

Did you let CloneCD close the disc drive when you used CloneCD?

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I have the Sony DRU-710A burner which is Dual Layer support.I will go back and attempt to try it like you said,but hopefully my drive works.I think it is a compatibility issue with Dvd drives to be honest.The pics you displayed are pretty convincing.I am going to go check it out and see if it will work for me or not.Thanks for the little tut with pics Quadratic hope it works out with my drive.

11. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

i think its a fake,put a burned gamecube fullsize dvd-/+r in your dvd-drive and check it with alcohol,you'll see exactly what the screenshot shows

and of course you can backup your backup in this way

nice try ;P

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Um, it's not, and I can assure you that it was an ORIGINAL GC disc.

I figured some of you would lash out and say something like that, but the real question is, Why would I have to lie about something like this? All I did was try it, and it worked. It's not some gimmick I'm trying to pull on anyone.

Good try at making an ass out of yourself

13. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

well but its technically not possible that a normal dvd drive can read this :-/

when yours can read it,you surly can also make a screenshot from the disk content in the windows explorer

i'm waiting :p

14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It won't show anything in Windows Explorer.

I've given you all the "proof" that I have. If you don't believe me, that's your choice, but I honestly got those files by using CloneCD and using the procedure above.

15. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

wow,look,i got it to work with my NEC-1300A -_-

[​IMG]

yes of course this is a "fake"
    so it looks like when you're going to backup a backup
    in this case with mariokart double dash

and thats why i'm not believing you,without any evidences :)

make a movie how you put an orginal gc disk in your drive and start the rip process,or something like that,be creativ ;P

16. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

WTF Dude? I specifically said mine's took 3 1/2 hours, while yours only took 6 minutes :|

Also,did you even try putting in a GC disc and using CloneCD to read it.If you did, did you remember to leave it OPEN and let CloneCD closethe drive for you?

17. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

i've already written that this was only a backup in the drive,burned-backups can be reconized in every normal-dvd-rom-drive with full speed :p

so it takes only 5-7 min per gc disk,my drive reads up to 16x (ca 11mb/sec)

18. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

Don't be too quick to nullify Quadratic's claim. Supposedly some scene groups have modified their DVD drive's firmware to be able to read GC disks. Perhaps some DVD drives already can straight out of the box with the proper software.

Quadratic - are you using any special hacked firmware with your Philips(BenQ) drive or something else?

I think the GC has a very picky little laser and/or firmware that only likes to see quality media burnt on a quality drive at a higher speed (especially the 'n8' drives). Perhaps some of the newer DVD+-R/W dual layer drives can read the media as well with no mods.

I would like to see more proof too but I don't have the Philips drive he tested with. What else can you show us Quad?

19. Artlover

Artlover Member

Yes, I let cloneCD close the drives, and they still don't see the disc. Seems like you're the only person in the world that can do this.

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It didn't work for me either,but was worth a try hopefully making it easier to backup my GC games.I think it has something to do with the drives,this is not really a fake I still think.I have seen somebody else already get a read on a GC game using Pinnacle software instead of CloneCD,so the issue of not reading the discs has something to do with the firmware encryption I think.I think certain dvd drives will read these discs such as a Phillips drive or whatever is mentioned,because of hacked firmware where the dvd drive I have is using a non hacked firmware.It depends on the drive to be honest,but I don't mind streaming my images either.I think you will get the same results on the final image no matter what option you do.I actually save time on the process Quadratic for ripping my images,like I said could possibly depend on the firmware of your dvd drive.Anyways I don't think it is fake,and yes this has been possible and very well could exist.Although some people will doubt what you mentioned is fake,I have heard it is possible from someone already off another thread on here so that is enough proof for me.If three people say that their drives can read the images then I have to say they are lucky,and it doesn't work for me.Well that is really all I can say on this and the fact that it still doesn't work for me doesn't help me,but if anyone has the same drive that Quadratic has then it is something to check out.I think this is the only problem that GC has is compatibility issues,if it wasn't for that it would be one of best systems out.I am getting tired of buying new stuff for this system such as ethernet cards and crap like that so I am fine with what I have,and will keep the setup that works the best for me.Artlover I was thinking the same thing until I realized I heard this a couple times before.Trust me on this alright,if it doesn't work for you then don't worry about it.It won't help thinking about it,but there is more proof than this post if you search off SuperTed's thread.The firmware plays a big part in reading these discs I think,especially hacked firmware.