1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC not booting past POST

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sdc1983, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

I'm having an issue with one of my PCs. I had it in a bedroom for a while but recently decided to move it to another room. It worked fine before I moved it but when I hooked it up in my other room it won't boot up properly. It starts up going through the POST but it dosen't recognize any drives in it. I have a DVD-RW drive a CD-RW drive and 2 80gig WD drives. I try to enter the bios setting by pressing f1 doesn't recognize the command and just freezes at the black POST screen. I thought maybe the IDE cables or something came loose when I moved it so I unhooked everything and reattached all the cables. Nothing. I tried replacing the cables with some spares I had lying around. Again nothing. I cleaned out all the fans and anything things else that had a little bit of dust on it but this still didnt help. I need to get this up and running again but have no clue on what the problem could be. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry for the long posting but I figured I should write everything down just to be sure. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah it was running Win XP Pro before this all happened if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

im not too expertish about this but check your BIOS battery is still there and possibly replace it

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. try connecting 1 drive at a time to see if bios sees each drive

4. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

I tried unplugging the DVD and CD drives and the slave hdd but it still wouldn't boot up. I just found a spare hdd I had lying around with Win98 on it. So my next plan is to take out the hdd's already installed, replace the IDE cables with some brand new ones I had around and hooking up the spare hdd to see if it will boot up then. If it does then I will try hooking up the orignial hdd using the new IDE cable and see if that is the problem. Otherwise I think the hdd may be gone but that still doesn't explain why it won't recognize the DVD and CD burners. Theres no way 4 drives failed at once. And the motherboard is only a couple years old so I can't see that failing too although I may have to look at that possiblity as well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take a look at the can shaped objects which are capacitors on the motherboard that they are flat topped & not domed.