1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc not booting up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by noobz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. noobz

noobz Guest

i just called my geeks and they know for sure it is the mother board that is gone. everything is fine but... the motherboad. fuch i am screwd.

EDIT:
    they said it is a software issue in motherboard... what could that be? bios?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

If the hd is spinning up when the data cable is unplugged then I doubt the motherboard is bad. Then why would the hd spin and the fan on the video card be on? It COULD have. But its rare that motherboards will go bad.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why would you be able to say anything about the motherboard if the HDD spins up without data connection?
    hard disks, when powered, spin up automatically if there's no data cable. If there is, they only spin up when requested, hence how HDDs can be turned off by Windows after a certain time without the PC interacting with the power supply. if the HDD doesn't spin up when it's plugged into the motherboard, chances are the motherboard is screwed.

As for the software issue, it seems unlikely. The power light not coming on could never be caused by the motherboard, if you took the BIOS chip out the power light should come on, even if only briefly. I think there's a hardware problem with your motherboard. Software issues don't just happen, something has to cause them even if it's not obvious, but since nothing can change the software on the motherboard but you, if you didn't do anything to it, I'm writing software off. I think it needs replacement.

4. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

No doubt it does. I'm just saying i have been using computers for over 12 years and its a rare occurance. Never had it happen to me.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's happened to me once, and I've not really been satisfied with any of the motherboards I've had in the last few months.

6. noobz

noobz Guest

i just changed the psu and it is working fine awwwww i hate my stupid geeks.

EDIT:
    -thanks to all that helped specially sammorris and ice.
    -and now my computer is back up and running and problem solved.
    - i guess tread closed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  7. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

I told you it wasn't the motherboard.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, what an insightful post. I'll remember to poke fun at other people next time they've sorted out a problem...
    From the limited info we had, it could have been either.