1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC not running as well as it should

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SerekLaw, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SerekLaw

SerekLaw Member

Hiya guys

Just wondering if you may be able to help. Recently upgraded my GPU from a Geforce 8800 GTS to GeFroce GTX 460 SE. I was hoping that this would improve my games perfomance. Unfortunately the frame rate in most games is quite low or is around 50 in some cases but drops significantly when in battle. Such an instance is Borderlands, I cannot run it maxed even though really I feel I should be able to. I can only manage around 40-50 frames and it drops when running for a little while or if I'm in a gun fight. I also expected more out of my machine whilst running crysis, i can only manage 30-40 fps on MEDIUM, so you can imagine how that goes when in a gun fight.

here are my specs

Intel Core 2 Quad running at 3 gig
    MSI G31M3-F motherboard
    4 Gig Ram
    GeForce GTX 460 SE

Hope this is enough info guys, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my post.

2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Double check the driver installation. Be sure to remove the old drivers. Unless you are deft with the registry use something like CCleaner to clean the registry.
    What resolution and eye candy are you running?
    Jeff

3. SerekLaw

SerekLaw Member

hiya Jeff thanks for your response. I'm running at 1920 x 1080. I been trying to do the same on games. There is an issue with my LG 23" monitor though where in games when using vga it wont run at 1600x 1200 which is why I'm using the HDMI atm. Will that cause such bad fps drop?

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

I didn't think RGB can run that high resolution. Unfortunately HDMI has become the standard.
    I have a almost 2 year old NVidia 295GTX. It still does what I need to do. You already know a decent video card costs, as much as a cheap PC.

I really don't know for sure. Just start at ground zero making sure you have the correct drivers that are not conflicting with the old ones. I have a LG 27" W2753V which has a very fast response time.
    Jeff

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. Platosn22

Platosn22 Member

The uninstall of o old drivers is a good bet. Also, check that your av is off and no other heavey system usage programs are running. Sometimes, running cpu and memory intensive programs can cause that issue also. I would recommend to check for updated video drivers for your card to see if there were any bugs that were fixed. Last resort for me would be to backup all your stuff restore the system from scratch with the most currentl video drivers for your card and see if that makes a difference. Doing a hardware test on your other components is recommended also as any one of them could inhibit your performance